Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll admit it, I'm stumped. I've been at this awhile...okay much longer than awhile but I'm suffering from age denial. I've shot mostly wood riser bows off the shelf for a long, long time. I'd describe my aiming method a bit of a cross between gap and split vision. Here's the anomaly...my gap at 25yds. has always been somewhere around 18-20" since approx. the time Columbus sailed. I've occasionally played around with elevated rests but they never grew on me and I always went back to off-the-shelf.....until about 2 years ago. That's about the time I got into warfs. Since the Black Bear riser had a nice tapped hole enabling the use of a plunger with a stick-on rest I tried it again. All of a sudden I'm "point on" at 25 yds., a definite advantage at my hunting yardages. I've never noticed this before when shooting elevated. I understand that the arrow tip is further above my bow hand, but the nock point obviously had to be moved up the string and that's where I'm still engaging the string (no crawl) and still looking over the tip of the arrow, so I don't see what would change the trajectory. My warfs are 64" instead of the 60" bows I've predominantly always shot. The only thing that I've changed in my form is that I've intentionally gone from an anchor at the corner of my mouth up to an incisor in order to incorporate string blur into my sequence, which I've never done before because it was out in my peripheral vision. Unless I inadvertently started raising the nock up closer to my eye when transitioning I haven't a clue why any of that would negate 20" of gap....but I like it!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
+1 it's the anchor.

Reactions: Crude Lefty

·
Registered
239 Posts
My theory and I got no proof so open to discussion is that the elevated rest gives or flexes slightly down at release causing lower impact

·
Registered
479 Posts
anchor point change and bow tiller change is my guess. i know since i started shooting off the shelf ( with a 3under hold) my bow makes a different noise on release which i contribute to tiller changes. as well my tab marks are a couple yds different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts