Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The preload of recurve limbs hurts my shoulder a lot. The shallower force draw curve of long bow limbs let me get past my shoulder spurs without much pain. This is kinda what started Dryad's long bow limbs. I did not want to give up hunting.

This question is gonna be a groaner. I know you don't want modern metal riser with stabilizer in long bow but..............????

Can I shot Dryad's ACS 4G long bow limbs on my DAS Elite in IBO RU (groan). That is the only way I can shoot enough arrows over the two days of IBO Trade worlds. I promise not to win :)

And here you were worried about techie bows in long bow. Never even occurs to you about a high tech long bow in RU

LOL :crawfish:

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I gotta set of ACS 40# on my 21" BlueDog Elite with springy rest and a 10" 5oz disk stab. Looks pretty cool and like it would make a hole in a target.

It looks real RUish :goodvevil

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is one I have been playing with, least you thought I was kidding. :).

Theses are Dryad's bamboo and glass. I have shoot the best 3D scores I have shot with it. Not scores that would scare this bunch, though.

So not only a high tec longbow but a string walking high tec long bow.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That's real nice Rusty, real nice.

We have a couple of guys shooting them in the RU division in K3d here.
And their doing very well with them.
I also intend doing the same when I up grade the limbs on my Titan.
John.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need a head scratcher emoticon. Lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
As you get older the ware and tare on the supraspinatus as it pales below the acromion. Mine is torn at its point of insertion onto the humeral head at the greater tubercle. Mine is torn to the extent it is not repairable only replaceable.

My shoulder problem is compounded by moderately advanced osteoarthritis. This leaves bone spurs on the humeral circumference. Making rotation of the shoulder rearward painful.

The lower preload of long bow limbs lets your shoulder rotate further around under lighter load. This has many benefits even helping slow down the degeneration of the shoulder by strengthening lithe stabilizing muscles.

It makes sense.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was referring to Matts comment how he likes the way one limbs shoots but somehow aims better with another set. :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Ah sorry. The ACS load more to the end of the draw. The Hexs load very early and the flatten thru the clicker area. Makes a letoff like feel that you can hold longer a full draw.

I can draw 36 -38# on the ACS. I can get 40# Hex 6 to about 1/2 draw and the shoulder binds painfully and will not rotate.

I can drawv32# Hex 6s but it is uncomfortable thru mid draw and you can feel bone grinding on bone.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Rusty,

Very smart accommodation going to a longbow based on the DFC. Using a recurve riser is also good as you can tune for a higher brace height and lower preload.

For what its worth I have modified my draw cycle to help a right shoulder injury. I start with a nocked arrow and the bow accross my body and my bow arm straight down infront of me. I come directly to holding from this position which requires more pushing with the bow arm. It is kind of a Legolas move but it is very efficient and keeps my arms and shoulders low. I have found it is really important for me to "lift my arms" with my back muscles (and not the top of my shoulders) from the very start of the motion. This is the part that seems to stabilize both shoulders from the beginning and of course leads into solid expansion.

Rasyad

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Ah sorry. The ACS load more to the end of the draw. The Hexs load very early and the flatten thru the clicker area. Makes a letoff like feel that you can hold longer a full draw.
Exactly - they just settle in so nice feels like you can aim for ever.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Heck talk about full circle. We built our first ILF longbow limbs for Rusty because of his shoulder quite a few years ago and here we are back working the same problem with the same solution.

I think they should shoot well with reasonable crawls.

Mike

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Here is one I have been playing with, least you thought I was kidding. :).

Theses are Dryad's bamboo and glass. I have shoot the best 3D scores I have shot with it. Not scores that would scare this bunch, though.

So not only a high tec longbow but a string walking high tec long bow.

Lets get a string on this beauty and see some shooting Rusty.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Heck talk about full circle. We built our first ILF longbow limbs for Rusty because of his shoulder quite a few years ago and here we are back working the same problem with the same solution.

I think they should shoot well with reasonable crawls.

Mike
Mike they are my goto hunting limb and they handle a small crawl perfectly.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes both the bamboo/glass and the ACS do very well from a fixed 5/8" crawl. Dare I say even better than recurve limbs.

Since I got my 13" Morrison Gen 3, Dryad's bamboo/glass and the Morrison is my hunting bow. I shoot from a fixed 5/8" crawl. Gives me an 18 yard point on. The perfect hunting bow for me

1 - 20 of 24 Posts