Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a young fella a few years back in archery....he is a great kid and will actually be wrangling this fall with a friend in his hunting outfit..was a great way to spend your summer/fall.

He is 17 and just graduating this year. I sold him the bow Mike had sold me and it's an Orion Longbow - 58"

Perfect for his draw...(he draws short like I used to) but he is not going to change yet.

Anyway we did the 3D course yesterday and we were almost back to the trucks when tree rat came loping along - I missed on my shot - about 20 yards and he took a shot - PLOP - right off the stump...GReat shot

heres a pic and a vid - his first kill with the bow..awesome.

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Man that little squirrel gets off that arrow and he'd be a chewing his way up one side of that feller and back down the other. Them squirrels has been known to bring a man down! Well alright maybe not down, but they will bite the living crap out of ya. I speak from experience! Never pick one up while he's still kicking,,, There like mini bears.....

·
Laylas Daddy
55 Posts
Man that little squirrel gets off that arrow and he'd be a chewing his way up one side of that feller and back down the other. Them squirrels has been known to bring a man down! Well alright maybe not down, but they will bite the living crap out of ya. I speak from experience! Never pick one up while he's still kicking,,, There like mini bears.....
Funny stuff!!!

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Ditto

Erich

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's why I had the video running - thought if nothing else I will make a few dollars on "worlds funniest home videos"

Hey they have to learn sometimes from experience right.

I had a friend that picked one off with a rock on the run...yes on the run...I told him to cut off the tail so I could use it for flytying...well that little fella wasn't quite dead.

He turned on him and bit right through his thumb nail and then just hung on...My bud was about 13 and he was screaming....he was flicking his hand back and forth and that little critter just hung on...litterally for DEAR LIFE.

Anyway after a bit of this I just told him to put his head down and I stepped on his body - he let go and I cut his head off with my bowie....ended that in a hurry.

Worst thing was...My buddy had to get a tetnis shot - think that hurt worse.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Jer Bear

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a friend that picked one off with a rock on the run...yes on the run...I told him to cut off the tail so I could use it for flytying...well that little fella wasn't quite dead.
From the video, looks like this one wasn't quite dead either. I hope you dispatched it quickly once the camera was off.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
That's great!! Now get that boy out on a spring bear and put some meat in the freezer.

Mike

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mike I had him out and he had the first crack at the first one we saw...blew the stalk but it was exciting - then I went (he was working and getting ready for grad). I got mine and then I was off to Rick's and then the Skills competition. Since I got back we have only been able to get out the once together and he wanted to go to the range.

Bears are out all over the place, but some are rubbed now.

Fall bears are my favourite for eating anyway.

I have put in for a bunch of tags this year and there will be lots for the freezer if it works out.

Tags:

Dall Sheep in our only BOW ONLY ZONE

Caribou - Sheldon lake area - they are open in lots of other areas too

Cow Elk - no bull draw this year

deer - hope I get this one.

then there are general tags

Moose - caribou - bears - sheep - so even if I don't get drawn I am after moose - caribou and bears if nothing else.

Jer

·
Registered
2 Posts
haha i love it! jer got me started into archery about 3 years ago, and ever since my first shot that hit what i was looking at, i have loved the sport. he has been my go to guy ever since then, and he has taught me all the stuff i know about archery. this past febuary i went to the canada winter games in halifax nova scotia, low n be hold i was the only one there with a long bow, everyone else had there sights, but they were all impressed with me for the equipment that i had brought with me. i placed last, but once jer showed me some new fourm, i was able to hit the paper alot better. i placed 2nd out of 6 in the indoor fita tournament. i prefer 3d shooting because its is hunting practice, and i love to hunt!

Mike- this bow is fricking amazing, it is so smooth, and once we got it tuned, i was able to hit just about everything i shoot at. some days i shoot better then jer, others not so well, i think his 41 years of experience has helped me and he is one of the best teachers in archery i have encountered!

Travis

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
welcome yukonbowhunter...my son is 13 he killed 7 whitetail with his bow last year...he shoots a compound...for now but I think in the near future he will carry his longbow...great shot!

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think Travis (yukonbowhunter) is kinda blowing me up a bit...just wanted to see him try it and he took to it like a fish to water.....we have our days - sometimes he's better sometimes I am....we have the most fun doing the 3D together when we can just do what we want and take extra shots.

today we shot about 7 or 8 targets but we shot from all kinds of angles..especially the elk

SO MUCH FUN

Thanks Travis

Jer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sromero, compound bows are like training wheels on a bike...everything is set so they have the same draw length every time, and all that stuff! Get him into a long bow or a recurve, I'm sure he will love it! Congrats to him for killing that many deer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts