Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dryad Epic recurves have the static tips.
I know they allow the finished bow length to be shorter end to end measured as compared against another similar length bow with conventional tips.
I know they are quieter than some of the conventional limbs.
I know it's been said by some that they can shoot a shorter limb set than they are used to, without stacking.
I've had a few sets of Epics, and I like them, thinking of getting another set, this time SHORTs.
My basic question is, what is the MAIN GAIn or GAINs static tips generally offer, or are famous for?
Thanks in advance.....

Reactions: ghoster808

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
So what max and min draw lengths are ideal for short medium and long limbs to get the maximum out of them Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
We make shorts in the Epic but not the Legend ACS recurve limbs. No Xshorts in either limb.

Mike

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Steve, I got a pair of XL RC with the new carbon and bamboo a few weeks ago. I draw 32.5" and these are the first limbs that are smooth all the way back even on a 21" Rambo warf that I've ever had. When I have them on a 25" riser I can draw them without having to turn my hat around; no more hitting the brim because the string angle is so good. They are also faster than my old W&W carbon at the same poundage by 9fps. They are quiet but about equal to my wood core limbs. They are not difficult to tune. I did have to order a couple string lengths to get the lower brace right. These limbs require about 1/2" to 3/4" longer string than normal. Our weather has averaged in the single digits since December so I have not spent a lot of time shooting these yet but so far am very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
John,

It depends on the riser length. for example we recommend that on a 17" riser that medium epic and legend recurve limbs max at 29". Although when Blacky tested the ACS-RC limb it drew to over 30 inches without stacking.

I hunted hogs with shorts on a 17" DAS one year and I draw 30 1/2. Now when shooting with the guys they did tend to back up off of the line when I was shooting. LOL

Mike

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Do static tip recurves tolerate a shorter draw better than conventional recurves? For example, I have a 27" draw and when messing around with the S, M, L recurve limbs on my 25" target riser, I noticed better performance out of the shorts than the longs (using same arrows, pulling same weight). AFAIK, some limbs are very draw length specific and if you don't get into the sweet spot, you will not realize any of the limbs' designed benefits.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Will I get more out of shorts with a 27" draw on a 25" riser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Jon,

You probably will get a better performance but not much with the shorts. I always go with the longer limb when it's between two lengths.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normally most shorts stack for me, but I'm wanting to mate up a pair of Epic shorts with a TD-1 H16 riser, for the ultimate short bow......it measures more like 15" than 16", so typically that makes a 56" bow, and the Epics make it a bit shorter than normal, so if it doesn't stack for me, it's a great shorty in the brush.

Reactions: Nuthatch

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do static tip recurves tolerate a shorter draw better than conventional recurves? For example, I have a 27" draw and when messing around with the S, M, L recurve limbs on my 25" target riser, I noticed better performance out of the shorts than the longs (using same arrows, pulling same weight). AFAIK, some limbs are very draw length specific and if you don't get into the sweet spot, you will not realize any of the limbs' designed benefits.
I wonder this also. Geometrically speaking, there should be a design that short draw archers could benifit from. Not that we would have an advantage, but relative to what I am used to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts