Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been tuning my Dryad ACS RC (48 on a 19") long limbs, have them on my Spig BB riser (thanks Sgrella and Coodster). BH is set at 8 1/2, poundage on fingers is 47# at my 30.5" DL. I have a ZT rest on it, and a beiter plunger. Started out with full length 520 ACE's and 100 gr tips (I think), way too weak. Went to my 430's, full length with 100 up front and Wave vanes. Tuned ok, BS to 25 yards fine. Groups were good out to 40ish. Not being satisfied I had it at its best, went to my 370's, which I had for my finger compound, fletched them with wave vanes, 100 gr's up front, and tuned great. These are also full length and shot better groups out to 50. These seem to me as they should be way too stiff, but the BS doesn't lie. Oh, only a BB weight in the stab hole also, no longbar or stab. I really am scratching my head as to why I need such a stiff shaft, but it works. WIth my SF Elite plus limbs, same draw weight I tune perfect with the 430's and the 370's are too stiff. I can get them borderline tuned but not where I want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am no expert but as someone with a draw length similar to yours I basically have to shoot close to full length arrows and I like that anyway as it keeps my gaps small for the ranges I shoot 3d at and for hunting but with that comes very stiff arrows compared to what I read about most other guys shooting. Candidly if I have bows in the 50 lb class I have to shoot 300s or stiffer to get good bareshaft flight. It always seems odd to me and I always fight it assuming I am getting some sort of bounce that is causing my readings to go off but the really stiff arrows just bareshaft right for me. Higher performance limbs have a similar effect so in the end I prefer to shoot higher performance lighter limbs with stiff shafts for th ebest all around combo for my purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Ren,

It's all about the energy. The 48-10 ACS-RC limbs are producing the same speed as most 60+ target limbs so you need more shaft to handle them.

I have a 30 1/2" draw and shoot 75-95 shaft for hunting and they are almost too weak.

Mike

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I kind of figured it was the speed/energy. The limbs on my fingers are actually kicking out 47#'s but the arrows seem to be as fast as my 60# hunting rig. I'd shoot them thru the chrono but I'll have to wait till I get them back. I loaned them to someone to try them out. He should have them Wed. I will say I have a new set of ACS CG Longbow limbs that I am currently trying out on my 21" DAS Elite riser..... talk about sweet. I think I have my new hunting rig. No offense to Ernie Mackenzie of Sapphire Hawk bows, but this thing kicks an arrow out there. Still need to tune it with woodies for competition but for hunting my ACC's love it. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ren, I too shoot stiffer arrows then what should be....I'm shooting exactly 40 lbs on the fingers with a 417 spine full length CXL 250 with 132 grains up front...almost everyone else can shoot the 150.

Dewayne

Reactions: rsarns

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Ren, I too shoot stiffer arrows then what should be....I'm shooting exactly 40 lbs on the fingers with a 417 spine full length CXL 250 with 132 grains up front...almost everyone else can shoot the 150.

Dewayne
I once tuned a 32" 300 spine (GT series22) with ~36#@28.5" and only 150gr upfront. So you aren't alone in needing more spine.
Currently shooting 28.5" GT600UL with 100gr fronm the same limbs.

Seems most other people would need at least another 5# OTF for those to work.

-Grant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts