Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dryad ACS-4G/Morrison bow review

Thought I was would share some opinions on my new ILF longbow that I put together today. I started with a Morrison 15" wood riser. This one is very slim, and in my mind, just begged for a set of longbow limbs. I had tried different sets of recurve limbs on it, but nothing seemed to work too well. The riser is very light weight, and for me, with moderately bad form, was tough to shoot, as it was short and light. So, rather than sell it, I figured I would try some longbow limbs on it. So, back in February, I contacted Dryad to see about some of their ACS limbs. I spoke with Mike a bit, and settled on the 4G, as I wanted a moderately fast limb, and one that I felt like I could afford. He told me that these were not the fastest he had, but plenty good enough for what I wanted, so I ordered. I wanted 40 lbs on a 15" riser, longs, making a 60" bow, as this would be a 3D bow only, and wouldn't wear me out.

They finally came in today, after a very long wait time. Don't care to repeat that again, as I am not a patient person. Anyway, first impressions when I opened the box were hey, I see a very nice camo limb sleeve that was heavily padded. I pulled the black limbs out, and looked them over very carefully. Fit and finish absolutely flawless. There was a string in there too. Looked at it and thought Uh, Oh, a skinny string. I don't like skinny strings. This one has to go. But I had to at least shoot it a little bit before the rain and thunderstorms blew in, that I had been tracking on radar. Anyway, I put it together, and strung it up. Set tiller and brace. String length was perfect. Didn't have to twist any at all to get the brace I wanted. So far so good. I drew it back, and man was it smooth. Weight felt perfect. I grabbed some Carbon Express arrows I had in .800 spine and headed for the target butt. First arrow zipped out of the bow and over the target. OK, got to try again. Second shot zipped over the target again. Dang! this thing shoots good! Kept lowering my sight picture and got on target. Started slapping feathers, right out of the box.

Overall opinion is that I have a winner. The limbs are smooth all the way through the draw cycle. I would compare them to the S/F Elite + that I used to have. Fast, smooth limb, that on this short riser are dead stable. At the shot, the bow just sits dead in my hand. And noise? NONE at all. I have never shot a bow this quiet without string silencers. I really can't say enough about these limbs and the riser that I put them on. In the hands of a good shooter. I think you would be tearing up your arrows.

And I am now a fan of skinny strings. No, it's not as skinny as Rick's but it is smaller than the ones I am used to shooting. And I won't be replacing it either, until it wears out, and I want another one just like it.

I am not posting arrow speeds here, as I'm not into the technical stuff too much. I have a 27" draw, and the arrows are around 350 grains. I figure I'm pulling around 38 pounds, so the speeds would be slower than most bows with heavier weights. And it seems that folks insist on an accurate chronograph readings, and details. That's just not me, so you can draw your own conclusions. These limbs are plenty quick for me, and I'm happy. That's all that matters.

So, in summation, I can honestly say that I am absolutely thrilled with these limbs, and they will stay on the bow rack, along side my DAS/Winex rig. I'm bad to buy sell and trade, but this rig ain't going anywhere.

Mike/Dryad, hit a home:shooting: run with these limbs.

Attachments

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
very nice review. I have a set of those limbs also, for some reason I always thought they were ACS CG limbs I was shooting (bought them used from the trading blanket on here), but they are ACS 4G limbs. They are great, and I agree with your comparison to the SF Elite + as I have those also. Today I completed my order (thanks to Connie who is great to talk to), for my new limbs.... XL Dryad ACS CG 44# on a 19" riser, that should hit my goal of 47# on my 21" DAS riser at my DL.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
John,

Thanks for the fine review. You are a gentleman and turn a lovely phrase. Unfortunately, a new bow review without images falls below standard.:)

Rasyad

Reactions: rsarns

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Dryad makes some fine risers and limbs. My go-to take-down longbow is a Dryad 13" riser with 47# XL ACS-CG limbs. Fastest longbow I own and among the quietest too. I had a set of ACS-4G limbs a while back, but later got the CGs. The CGs have a slightly higher pitched sound and more speeds due to the carbon lams, but you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rasyad, at your request kind sir, I added riser pics to the original post. Thank you for the compliment.

The riser detail is hard to see, as it is a very dark brown, front and back, almost black, with a lighter accent stripe in the middle. The wood is cocobolo, heavily stained, to give it a contrasting appearance. I would have posted a full length pic, but it would be hard to see riser detail, and besides everyone knows what a black longbow limb looks like.

One thing I noticed about the limbs, and perhaps Mike could expound upon this, is that the limbs are dished a bit for about maybe 6" from the limb tip toward the butt end, on the belly of the limb. I have never seen this on a limb before. Interesting design. Another thing that I noticed is the flex in the limbs. Very springy. No wonder it shoots a quick arrow.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unk, I was putting them up while you were asking for them. And yes, I am getting better at posting pics. Not there yet, but I am working on it.

As you guys can tell, I'm pretty excited about this new rig. I've been looking for two good rigs, and I finally found them. The rest of my bows are collectables. These are shooters.

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Unk, I was putting them up while you were asking for them. And yes, I am getting better at posting pics. Not there yet, but I am working on it.

As you guys can tell, I'm pretty excited about this new rig. I've been looking for two good rigs, and I finally found them. The rest of my bows are collectables. These are shooters.
===========

Hello John
Your one up on me [ Smile
I never tried putting a picture in a pryor thread started post.
And now I know. Thanks John.Us old dogs keep learning Hun [ Smile [ Later

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Hunting bow #1 light and #1 heavy. I have
Two go to hunters. Top is ACS G4 prototype #1 light 28# on 19. On 13" gen 3 @ 33#. Best light hunter I ever had.

Bow #1 heavy is a ACS G4 42# on 17" {heavy for me:) }. one of the first Daala out.

My favorite two bows.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
John,

The curved cross-section you observed is described in USPTO patent number 6718962. The named inventor is OL Adcock. John Harvard now of Dryad bows is noted to have signed a declaration in 2003. I have no information on who contributed what to the invention, who owns the IP or what licensing or other agreements may exist as we are at the limit of my research and knowledge on the matter.

Cool bow in any case.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yep the curvature is the ACS cross section. John is the owner of the patent and a partner in Dryad Bows. The curvature is the result of 3D molding of the limb while the glue is setting.

We build ACS limbs in the 4G and CG models in longbow and the RC model in recurve.

Cool stuff. LOL

Mike

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Mike. I remember when O.L. burst on the scene with his new design, but I don't recall reading any particulars as to how the limbs were made. Obviously the design works quite well. And thanks for hitting the exact weight I wanted too. Forgot to mention that in the original post.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
John thanks for posting the strung photo.
GOt to love that look.
Nice job with the pictures too.

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
O L Adcock, Senior Chief Petty Officer USN retired. :) Last time I talked to him a few years ago, probably 4 now, he was living in New Mexico. I have owned a few of his bows, back in the day when I could pull a heavier bow, I had a 57# OL Adcock 1 piece ACS CX Longbow. It shot my ICS Bowhunter 400 spine with 100 gr tips at 223 FPS. I can't remember the total arrow weight but they were 30.5" long with 3 5" feathers. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago, at my DL I never scaled the bow, but figure it was pulling about 62#'s at 30.5? His design makes an amazing set of limbs. Only reason I know my speed was at a State shoot they made me shoot thru the chrono. I was amazed and the compound guys just snickered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts