Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed bursitis/ tendonitis in my bow arm shoulder which makes shooting my recurve and longbow extremely painful. Each time I draw the bow, it's all I can do to hold the bow at full draw without shaking. I put some lighter limbs on my takedown recurve and at my draw length I am now pulling about 31-32 lbs. anything more than this just seems to put too much pressure on my bad shoulder. Will I ever be able to hunt for white tails ever again ? I live in Missouri, which doesn't have a minimum draw weight, but would 32 lbs be able to kill a deer ? If so, how far should I limit my shots ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you think you could shoot left handed? Of course, assuming you shoot right handed now.

I know several people who have changed sides for one reason or another and been successful accuracy wise.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
What is your draw length?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’ve having a similar issue .
With a 500g or more arrow and a cut on impact , two bladed broadhead , I wouldn’t hesitate to take a whitetail at 20 yards or less as long as you’re confident in your shot placement and wait for the best shot .

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tradarcher77, the first thing I would do is get to an orthopedic dr and see what exactly is going on and if any remedy for your shoulder, I went through several rotators which started out as tendonitis.
Lighter #s and not holding on draw would reduce the stress, as soon as you hit your draw anchor you should be on release to target. Had one old archer tell me "son why are you holding on the draw are you waiting for the bus", some wisdom on that one.
Youth is a short commodity and age is like rust that never sleeps.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
"son why are you holding on the draw are you waiting for the bus"

There is literally zero wisdom in that.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I play a doctor on TT and my advise is go see a real life orthopedic surgeon.

I had a similar problem and got an SR and killed a moose with 39 pounds and then about a 200 pound whitetail with 35 pounds.

Get an SR and limit your distance to what your shooting now.

Bowmania

·
Administrator
909 Posts
On top of seeing a doctor you might want to try some massage therapy. If there aren’t any therapists readily available, look at YouTube videos and use a lacrosse ball to work out your muscles. It’s helped me a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
Take bowmanias and others advise in seeking out a doc

Your draw length is important here but If I would have to use a 32 pound bow for deer I would use a SR and a sharp 2 blade head and tune to perfection and wait on the perfect shot

Also there is no shame in using a crossbow to keep doing what you like to do

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
when I was 9 years old I was putting holes in Dad's garage walls with a 20 pound fiberglas bow.......arrow going through the ? 1x8 wood tongue & groove walls......with field points.
I think a 32 pound bow with a sharp broadhead well placed will be deadly for you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I draw about 30.5" and my wife's bow, at my draw, is around 33#. It's nothing special, just a maple-and-fiberglass prototype I lightened for her to shoot. It's shooting a 500 gr arrow around 150 fps at my draw, which is comparable to a 50# selfbow. I read in more than one old book about how such a bow could kill anything in North America with the right arrow.

As others have mentioned, a long draw really helps and a carbon super recurve would put out even more energy downrange. Match it with a slim, razor sharp two blade like a Tuffhead and you're still in the game for sure. Not ideal, but then again neither are injuries. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I am pretty new to archery. I recently purchased a used recurve that has a 47# draw weight @ 28" and is 52"amo. I am looking to purchase a new bow , but it is only available at 57# at 28" and is 56" amo. Will a 10# increase be difficult to achieve? I can pull 47# without a problem. I will be using this bow for hunting.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Hello. I am pretty new to archery. I recently purchased a used recurve that has a 47# draw weight @ 28" and is 52"amo. I am looking to purchase a new bow , but it is only available at 57# at 28" and is 56" amo. Will a 10# increase be difficult to achieve? I can pull 47# without a problem. I will be using this bow for hunting.

Thanks
None of those bows are suitable for a new archer, and realistically not for an experienced one either if they care about accuracy.

Look for something under 30# and over 64".

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
Very few men can learn to shoot really well with a bow as heavy as 47#, hardly any with 10# more. Actually, I am one who did, so it is possible. But before I got really good, and won championships I had to drop down to the upper 30s for a couple of years.

I have only shot with two fellows who were really good drawing over 50 pounds. You could tell at a glance that you would be foolish to scuffle with them. Most of the fellows I have seen shooting bows over 50 pounds short shucked them.

I did know one guy who was good at 100 pounds and very good at 80 but he was abput 6'6'', 260, had shoulders like a girder, biceps like hams, hands like a catchers mitt, fingers like bananas. Good shot. Nice fellow, never got into arguments. Sort of a Gronk type guy.- lbg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.