Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the longest time I measured my draw length at 28.5. Well tonight after dropping down in weight and shooting every other day for a month. I measured my draw at 30.25. I measure my draw by drawing and arrow and marking were it crosses the front of the riser. My question is am I measuring it wrong? It it possible to increase my draw length by this much?

Thx
Mike

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Form improvement can increase your draw length up to 1 1/2 inches in some cases. Being overbowed could add more to that. Draw length comes from more places than just getting the string back to anchor. Your shoulder could collapse, your fingers uncurl, head turn, break posture. All these are more likely with a heavy bow as you fight the force of the bow. You think you are doing okay because you are getting to anchor, but the result is an illusion. You may also be getting a contribution from overdrawing the light bow. Your real draw length could be somewhere in between.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes I think so. Mine did the same thing when I changed a couple things. I changed my shooting weight from 60#ish down to around #40ish and I changed from a Asbell style of hunched over canted instinctive shooting to more of a verticle upright target style.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Yes I think so. Mine did the same thing when I changed a couple things. I changed my shooting weight from 60#ish down to around #40ish and I changed from a Asbell style of hunched over canted instinctive shooting to more of a verticle upright target style.
In one of his videos, Jimmy Blackmon showed how bending over shortens your draw length.

My longest draw length was achieved arching my back. It was a positive reinforcement thing. I was shooting 90 meters and the more I arched, the further my arrow went. I did not know I was doing it. All I knew is that my sight point was getting better, until my point was actually below the target. My coach identified the problem and helped me correct it. In standard target form, you want to have a straight back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dropped from 52 to 30 and now I'm up to 40. I just never figured my draw would be that long. I was presently surprised.

Mike

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Good form, standing more upright, or a deeper grip can all increase you draw length. I used to bend, crouch, cant my bow alot, and shot off my finger tips. My draw length was 28" then. As I changed things in my form it went to 29" then to a 30.5" draw length.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Actual AMO draw length will be 1 3/4" in front of the low point of the grip (typically this is also the plunger hole assuming you have one). The measured length to the low of the grip is called your true draw. So take true draw +1.750 to = AMO draw.

As others stated better form and control of the bow often equates to a longer draw length. I bet nearly every member of this site for a while has increased their draw at least an inch.

The arrow makers must love us. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I used to draw about 27", over owed at 60+ pounds. I shot low to mid 40s these days, and my draw still fluctuates depending on what I am working on, but its been as low as 29" and as high as 30". All a result of better form, better posture, and lower draw weight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hank, I'm 5'8" with a 6' arm span if that means anything. I changed my form when I went to the lower weight. Im more up right with a slight cant and I use a deep grip in the string. I'm a lot more comfortable and I'm shooting a lot better. I'm just surprised my draw changed that much. However, It does explain some of my arrow tuning issues.

FYI- I'm shooting a DAS Dalaa with sf limbs rate at 40#@ 28". I'm using and elevated rest and a SBD 8 strand string with their silencers. I have the stock Dalaa recurve limbs rated for 50#. That is my goal. I think after my draw length change I will be pulling about 55# with those limbs.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts