Trad Talk Forums banner

draw length question

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Shortygeeman 
#1 ·
Dewayne Martin recently posted a video showing his exact anchoring form and I copied it. I am new to traditional and at 15 yards I am now smashing arrows together and at 20 get them all into a 7 inch plate. This is a monumental improvement for me. I am shooting a 45 lb grizzly (at 28 inches) off the shelf. My concern, however, is that using this method my draw length is only 25 inches. If I want more speed, what do I do? Fletch arrows 1 inch closer to the front? Get a bow with higher poundage? Don't worry about it?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I thought copying Dewayne's anchor was a great place to start since he is bringing home the hardware. I live in Minnesota, if I wanted to see some good traditional 3d archery here where should I go? I have read some less than flattering reviews of some 3d shooters and how terrible some of their forms are and I sure do not want to wind up watching poor archers.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
To measure I drew the bow back to anchor and had my GF mark the arrow at the front of the riser shelf with a magic marker, 25 inches. With a compound bow I shoot 28 1/2 but of course with a completely different anchor.

Maybe I am leaning my head forward towards the bow at anchor, I will have my GF video it and look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.