Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dewayne Martin recently posted a video showing his exact anchoring form and I copied it. I am new to traditional and at 15 yards I am now smashing arrows together and at 20 get them all into a 7 inch plate. This is a monumental improvement for me. I am shooting a 45 lb grizzly (at 28 inches) off the shelf. My concern, however, is that using this method my draw length is only 25 inches. If I want more speed, what do I do? Fletch arrows 1 inch closer to the front? Get a bow with higher poundage? Don't worry about it?

·
Captbill
314 Posts
Speed is nice but it's shot placement that carries the day. You may get better performance from a rig set up for a shorter draw but is it worth it? If you are shooting well and having a good time I say enjoy it and make changes slowly. I would say if you can get some lessons from a good source go for that though.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
welcome to the forum.
shoot with some other more experienced traditional shooters.
Don't take ANY ONE person's form as one to copy, unless you choose one of the standout archers from this forum for a template to follow.
Interesting to get in a group of guys at a 3-d shoot, for instance, or a club target session, and watch a lot of people up close.
Often you can pick up tips (caution, can also pick up bad habits from others that sometimes look like a good deal) by watching others in a crowd.
If you are consistently getting decent 15-and-20 yard groupings, then you are doing something right with form, as consistency is the primary goal.
As a beginner, you want to instantly improve, and I don't want to defeat that, but it's a long process for most, and I'd suggest keep shooting, keep trying to improve, keep using your equipment until you are SURE you need some changes, and keep asking questions and looking at videos, and reading main forum threads, here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I thought copying Dewayne's anchor was a great place to start since he is bringing home the hardware. I live in Minnesota, if I wanted to see some good traditional 3d archery here where should I go? I have read some less than flattering reviews of some 3d shooters and how terrible some of their forms are and I sure do not want to wind up watching poor archers.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Draw length really depends on your own personal body dimensions. If you are anchoring in a position that doesn't allow you to engage the back muscles then consistency will be something you find difficult to achieve, especially as the distances increase.
Dewayne is definitely taking home the buckles with his high anchor point but many (most) people just don't have the face shape to make it work for them.

Taking a picture from above and to the rear will tell the story as to whether you are getting inline well enough with the new anchor.

-Grant

·
Registered
140 Posts
It might be interesting to have Dewayne here to discuss his form relative to his draw length and the performance he gets from his bows.

I think the way we shoot involves a lot of compromises to facilitate aiming and form that's "good enough".

I used to shoot a super high anchor...and then I got old and needed glasses. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Thanks, I thought copying Dewayne's anchor was a great place to start since he is bringing home the hardware.
Let's be clear, you are correct, DeWayne's form would be a great one to copy.
But some parts of his "shot sequence" might not fit other shooters' "form".
For various reasons.
So, it would be a good thing to find a bunch of other fairly accomplished trad shooters and study their "shot sequence".
You can learn a lot from seeing other people shoot, and watching their results.
Hopefully some of the Minnesota shooters can steer you to some good places to go.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What draw length did you have before you copied this anchor form.

How are you measuring your drawlength ?

If you measure from the arrow nock to the deepest part of the grip don't forget to add 1 3/4" inches to get your amo draw length.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To measure I drew the bow back to anchor and had my GF mark the arrow at the front of the riser shelf with a magic marker, 25 inches. With a compound bow I shoot 28 1/2 but of course with a completely different anchor.

Maybe I am leaning my head forward towards the bow at anchor, I will have my GF video it and look.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Since you are new I feel you will increase draw length as you gain experience and technique. I wouldn't fret over it too much. Do some longer distance shooting (35-45 yards) and you will see how much draw length and consistency helps.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
What release and anchor points with the compound?

In my experience if you shoot compound with a handheld release, anchor somewhere on the jaw and get your nose on the string then in general your draw length for traditional should be longer than it is for compound. If it's shorter you'd got either overbowing or alignment or both issues.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
WOooooow!!! Stop right now!!!! Don't go any further. (that's Meatloaf right?) Shoot one arrow at 15 years. Smashing arrows can get expensive. Like Joe said, it's tough to tell without a video or picture of you at full draw.

We could look at you and say do this and you'll get to 28 or maybe 25 is fine, but I'm guessing you're lacking back tension. BUT I could be wrong without a pic.

Bowmania

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I spent the entire 3D season shooting beside a seasoned top notch traditional archer. Watched him shoot several clean or plus rounds. I can't shoot like he does to save my soul from torment but I picked up some awesome tips that have helped me elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
To me, your anchor looks to me like your draw arm is not inline with your bow arm...like you're all scrunched up...I don't believe in this position you would be able to CONSISTENTLY AND COMFORTABLY engage back tension.

most Importantly do what works best for you...trying to copy anyone's form can be helpful but we are all shaped and built differently...you've got to find what is YOUR best way to anchor,expand,aim, the whole shot sequence has to be yours.

I talk to people all the time that can't shoot a bow the way I do...that's ok you've just got to figure it out and stick with it.

Hole this helps

Dewayne Martin

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Where on your face you choose to anchor does not determine your draw length. Your posture, head position, spine angle, string hold, shoulder position and other factors contribute. We need pix from various angles to help you. - lbg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts