Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a hickory flat bow that is 52" tip to tip. I'm shooting for a 50# draw, and need a 29 to 30" draw. Is this realistic? I intended the bow to be about 68" or so, but a knot dictated it to be shorter. I really don't think I'll ever get 29" out of it.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
173 Posts
That length and that draw I don't think it will make it. I have a 31.5" draw and most of my Hickory bows have to be wide and long relative to my Osage bows. I make my Osage 66-70" and add at least 2" for Hickory and add 50% width. I tried a 62" Hickory bow and it exploded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That length and that draw I don't think it will make it. I have a 31.5" draw and most of my Hickory bows have to be wide and long relative to my Osage bows. I make my Osage 66-70" and add at least 2" for Hickory and add 50% width. I tried a 62" Hickory bow and it exploded.
I think you're right. I'm a little above 23" now and 50#, which is about the weight I was shooting for. I'm going to try to reach 26" and maybe lower the draw weight some. I guess I could for experiment sake just see how far it would go, but hate to ruin it. It's a nice piece of wood and could be a nice bow.

Thank you for your reply, John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts