Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given two of those rubber 'X' that Hoyt sells with their Satori strings. Thinking about trying them out. My current string has cat whiskers. I've never run two sets of silencers, but have seen it often on other bows.

I'm curious- How would you all set them up? Above or below the whiskers? Just on their own?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Cat Whiskers are pretty heavy and now you plan on rubber X's. That's robbing a lot of energy from your arrow.

You're trying to make oscillations smaller and you can do that with yarn or fur.

Bowmania

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you shoot a lot, as in nearly every day, they last about 2 weeks before they cut through. Other than that they reduce the twang to a dull thus when used on their own. So not bad and little or no speed loss IMO.There is a Fred Eichler vid on youtube on how to install them along with reccomended spacings .

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yep, 20 grams each for string twang and Velcro at contact points for string slap all you need.
Dan

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it’s me, I’d trade out the whiskers for the new ones.

To answer your question, if I was going to use both (I wouldn’t, by the way), I’d have the whiskers at about 10” from the tip string and the x’s around 5” down from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been given two of those rubber 'X' that Hoyt sells with their Satori strings. Thinking about trying them out. My current string has cat whiskers. I've never run two sets of silencers, but have seen it often on other bows.

I'm curious- How would you all set them up? Above or below the whiskers? Just on their own?
I would try measuring the bow string length, divide that length by 4.
Place a silencer a each quarter node point. Cat whiskers closest to the limb tips.

When I use a string silencer it's a cat whisker, but I only use about half their length so the whiskers stand out about ⅝ " from the string.

Lately I've decided to put nothing on the string but an 8" serving and one tied on nocking point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Cat Whiskers are pretty heavy and now you plan on rubber X's. That's robbing a lot of energy from your arrow.

You're trying to make oscillations smaller and you can do that with yarn or fur.

Bowmania"

How much energy are you losing?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
"Cat Whiskers are pretty heavy and now you plan on rubber X's. That's robbing a lot of energy from your arrow.

Bowmania"

How much energy are you losing?
Enough to effect the spine and tune of your arrow which is more than I would care to lose

Rubber cat whiskers are one of the best string silencers out there for a reason they are heavy

Adding that much rubber is just not necessary on a well tuned bow

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I cut my cat whiskers to 1 3/4” long. Around the height of a business card. I use only one set. If I can’t get the bow to quiet down I look at other causes like to light an arrow. I also do not use D-97 strings on my recurves.
The felt in the string grooves works as well. I used to use Beaver balls but just couldn’t get used to the look.

·
neotoxo54
17 Posts
STRING SILENCER THEORY

Something you might try & I use is taking advantage of the heterodyne principal of canceling resonate frequencies.

In short, the heterodyne principal states that when two frequencies are mixed they produce both even and odd additional frequencies.

This is how radios are able to transmit or receive a wide spectrum of frequencies without having a separate resonate circuit for each frequency.

A naked bow string will sing like a plucked guitar string SO if you tie one silencer 1/3 the distance from one end of the bow string and the other silencer 1/4 the distance from the opposite end that combination will cancel out both even & odd resonate frequencies. That will make the string go thump instead of twang.

Measure the distances with bow strung from where the string touches limb. This works with longbows, recurves & compound contraptions too.

Aside from noise canceling it also allows the use of silencers with less bulk and mass giving you a little extra arrow speed.

I use those small silicon string silencers from 3 Rivers Archery...string leeches or wishbones or any of the others work just a well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have had good luck with cutting one cat whisker in half lengthwise to make two. There can’t be a lot of weight there.

·
Premium Member
12,642 Posts
thanks ROCKY the heterodyne thing, you said it well, I remembered the rule of 3rds and 4ths but I forgot the explanations & big words, haha.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Neotox's suggestion has a lot of merit. If I'm not mistake Mt Muffler strings ordered with yarn silencers come with that offset.

Bowmania

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point on added weight. I think I'll just pass them on down to someone else. Especially if they are not known for lasting long.

I also am using cut down cat whiskers already. They seemed to work just as well short, plus saved me money, as one gave me a set.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I needed them in a pinch for my target bow so I used foam ear plugs, they work but only for short time. I also had success with a piece of masking tape folded over my string.

For long term, I always use some cat whiskers, but not a lot of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use the 1/4 and 1/3 on all of my bows. FAR superior to even spacing. Applying the heterodyning principle works.

I use small wool puffs of 12 wraps trimmed to a small ball. No velcro on the limb grooves for me as the grooves are there for a reason and I don't like to fill them in at all.

I wrap the string below the loops to just beyond the limb contact point with very fine wool.

I don't believe there is any need for more than one pair of silencers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts