Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen fast flite strings that are double served to better fit nocks on otherwise skinny strings.

How exactly do they do that? Is it simply one full serving over the other? Separate? Or do you serve up and then down again, finishing where you started?

My newest string is double served only in the finger and nock contact area. The rest of the 8" or so are only single.

Here's my question to you guys. Which do you prefer? What other techniques have you seen? And for those do it yourselfers, how would you do it?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Same principle as a tie on nock.....larger diameter over smaller to keep from separating the under-serving. I use teflon plumbing tape instead of double serving. I cut some in 2.5" length and then roll lengthwise around the bundles in the nock/finger area, then just a single serving of .025 62xs over that. I'm doing this on a 12 strand D97 string and use Bohning classic nocks on wood arrows though.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,542 Posts
I use Teflon tape too, but lay it down for the full serving. The stuff has little weight, but no problem with using it in the finger and nock area. Teflon tape does vary in width and thickness.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I used to regularly double serve before I learned of the teflon tape trick. I usually would serve two separate servings in the event that I would have to replace the top serving due to a nick/cut and not have to redo the whole thing. I would also serve the base layer quite tight to prevent separation while serving the top layer.

I no longer double serve the center for nock fit, but to thicken it up for improved string finger comfort. I regularly double serve the end loops of my endless loop strings to pad them out a little as I usually make skinny strings.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
I just put one or two dacron threads under serving until nock fitts right.
JMHO
Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.