Trad Talk Forums banner

don't set the hook

Tags
hook set
677 views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  rusty craine 
#1 ·
There isn't a hook. when the gar hits the combed out nylon cord, you bow to him. Let him have time to chew on it. The cord gets tangled in all the teeth and holds him fast.

Gar fly fishing in Texas wind makes an 11' switch rod very handy. You may have to take a switch rod casting lesson or two, not a cast we use too much.

It is more or less based on the roll cast. With a big gar fly you need to use a static anchor.

See less See more
#5 ·
Not being a fisherman my self .... are Gar just a sport fish or are they good to eat as well ... interesting stuff

#11 ·
Most of the time I use the kayak to get between deep holes. There have been a few times I had to follow bigger gar.

Gar is a bit like spot & stalk. You have a good idea what gar you are after. I have fished the same five miles for twenty years. I stay in the 20 to 30# tops. even at 20 pounds they give me all I can handle. If a 20# gar bas enough water he can ware me out.

#13 · (Edited)
I have been taking some fly casting lessons. fly cast is a lot like archery in the having your rod a little too low or too high can ruin a cast. There is a little more form in switch casting. I have always used middle of the line fly equipment as it can get pretty expensive on the high end.

The rod I have been using in the lessons is Sage Method Switch rod. When I went back to my old one even I could tell the difference. So today I order one from Matt. It is near the top of the range, a very nice two hander rod.

http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/online-flyshop/fly-rods-reels/sage-method-switch-rod-47517.html

#14 ·
Your buddy's gar is a fabulous specimen!!! As I like to joke...I'm such a poor fisherman that I have to shoot my fish....favored rig...is a Fred Bear A-Mag with 50# limbs. I also applaud the respect that you seem to exhibit toward these great fish Rusty!! I despise the term "trash fish" :( These cool creatures deserve so much more!!!

#17 ·
Great sport!!!
If your having trouble casting in the wind, get your rod-hand down around your chest area or lower, you not only get the cast moving closer to the water, but it's almost impossible to drop your back cast and it realy allows the rod to work... Taught to me by flats guides in Belize where the wind is always blowing hard and from the wrong dirrection...(looks quite ugly though hehee)...

#21 ·
I won't get in much detail. One of the lines you can use on a Switch rod is a Skagit. Short heavy shooting head. it fits the way I fish for gar. Very similar to swing casting for steel heads I think.

You set an up stream anchor, rip the line in front of you to load your "D" loop, then turn and shoot. Handles the heavy gar fly well. The Trinity where I fish is not real wide. Skagit casting is about perfect.

So I am casting a Skagit line on my section of the river

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.