1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let us assume:

-- Same riser and same arrow.

-- Draw length is 28 inches.

-- Limb set #1 yields AMO bow length of 56 inches with 50# @ 28 inches.

-- Limb set #2 yields AMO bow length of 60 inches with 50# @ 28 inches.

-- Limbs have same efficiency of energy storage, however this is measured.

Will these limb sets theoretically yield identical arrow speeds (and bow efficiencies)? If they will not, why not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just from my personal experience, the longer bow will have less efficiency because there is more material for the limb to move in the longer bow making the limbs heavier therefore slower.

Limb design and such have a great deal to do with efficiency. You have to assume that both set of limbs are designed the same. If not, this is a mute topic of discussion.

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
sureshot's argument is the standard belief but consider this. The longer limbs might shoot a little better (smoother draw and less pinch) so if your release is cleaner as a result the increase in velocity from a better release might just off set the mechanical advantage of limbs 2" shorter. Food for thought...

Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, let me draw closer to reality. I have a DAS Master Hunter riser and the same [era and manufacture] WinAct carbon/wood limbs -- one being 60-inch AMO, one being 56-inch AMO. For this query let's remove release smoothness, finger pinch -- all extraneous data -- by my using a Winn C-12 relax-release.

Clearly, my question is a theoretical one because nothing is perfectly replicated. We are assuming things are for this query.

I'm interested in whether limb sets deliver [theoretically] identical energy to the arrow. I think the query pertains to importance of length of power stroke, but I'm unsure. I may be asking a question similar to: Which weighs more, 5 pounds of lead or 5 pounds of feathers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It was explained to me that the shorter limbs would give a slight addition boost (increase in FPS) because of the limb geometry. The long limbs give you stability needed for accuracy at longer distances.

One archer stated he found boost to be equal to about 3 lb increase in limb weight. Hard to know what that number is based on.

I don't know if there any details to back those "rule of thumb" answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts