Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bandman72
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through tuning arrows to more than a dozen bows, the one thing thing I can't understand is how 2 different bows tuned so bare shafts fly well can have such a different vertical impact.

It does seem that the closer the arrow sits to my hand (bows shot off the shelf) the lesser my gaps are at say 15 yards. And the higher the arrow sits (bows shot off a rest almost 2" above my bow hand) the larger the gap at 15 yards.

Given that I tune the arrows the same, set the nock point the same (usually 5/8"-3/4")and anchor the same (I have a relatively high anchor), and that bows are generally about the same draw weight...what causes one bow to hit so much higher than another?

One thing that might make a difference is that I use velcro when shooting off the shelf and that being softer than a standard plastic/rubber rest could cause the arrow to impact lower...but in some cases, one bow might impact nearly 2 feet higher than another.

What am I over looking?

My intentions are to have as little gap as possible...I'd like a point on of about 25 yards. I've shot a Centaur longbow that shot just as stated, but my recurve of similar draw weight (shot off the shelf) hits a good 8" higher. I just set up a Martin recurve set up with an elevated rest that hits a good 18" higher than the point at 25 yards.

Could it have anything to do with tiller, or maybe how high the shelf of the bow is relative to the center of the string (which is really could be balanced by tillering)

Any ideas?

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Speed plays a significant factor in gaps. I have pretty much all my bows tuned to shoot the same arrow and my point-on distance varies from bow to bow. Slower bows have a shorter point-on and faster bows are further out.

·
Bandman72
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly agree that speed greatly affects gaps at longer distances, but what about 10 yards? There is a big difference in these bows as close as 5-10 yards...more than a foot of difference.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I would think how the bow is tillered, and where the center of pressure is relative to the center of the string.

Rasyad

Reactions: Bandman72

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
In my experience shooting off the shelf usually gets a closer POD. I wonder if there is some effect which raises the POD as you increase the distance between the arrow rest and the center of the bow? Or perhaps it's the distance between the rest and the center of hand pressure.

I've been meaning to do some experimenting with rest height, perhaps this should be part of that?

-Grant

Reactions: Bandman72

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I have my Provincial 3D championship this weekend so very likely you will get to it before I do.

-Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.