Trad Talk Forums banner

Which side of the string do you look down? (RH)

• Left side of string

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • Right side of string

Votes: 10 21.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting gapping after watching Jimmy's videos on Youtube - and finding my accuracy exponentially increasing. I really had a lot of trouble with consistency on the "pick a spot instinctive" ranging from sheer "wow" to scattered groups.

Guess I'm someone who needs a hard reference. (and maybe later Split Vision will kick in.)

Anyway - I've never seen this mentioned... but what side of the string do you look down for a right hander? Does it matter?

I'm experimenting with both, but interested to hear your experiences, especially gappers who need to see the arrow point.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Left for me. I'm right-handed and I can see the string blur on the right side of my field of view when at anchor. I don't consciously look for the blur, but it is something that I can sense when gapping and it serves as a visual reference point other than tangible facial cues.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'll "wink" or blur the string through the arrow to true up my alignment but I want the string alongside of the right side of the shaft as I'm starting to expand....

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Good question Daniel ...
.. ya' know I had to srting up a bow and take a look before I voted

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Right side, or "inside" if you prefer.

RH, gapper. It just works for me.

But honestly my take on it is that WHATEVER you do, do it the same way all the time. Its especially important to tune to a particular string blur, then SHOOT to that particular string blur.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty dominant on the poll for Left Side (for RH archers.)
I've been trying both but recently switched to Left Side for gapping.

I'll look the middle to align and left side before release... so far really working.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Strange that I don't even know. I feel like I am looking right down the arrow but I don't think it's through the string even with a vertical bow. It must be to the left and there may a be a bit of a blur but I am not even sure.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I shoot with a sight, and low/tight anchor on my jaw with ledge contact from tab. I see the string blur on the left side of things (so I voted RIGHT SIDE). I barely recognize it because at that point I am floating a big white aperture around the target. I am also right handed.

Have a great day,
Kasey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.