Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew right off there was an issue when they set the cooking stove up in the old army tent and then packed all the groceries inside. My request was denied to do cooking outside and leave the food in a different location than where we slept.

Then when one guy started telling us about how we would feel if he brought a girl he met in town to the tent (all of us married) to cook and "Stuff".

Then when he and one other stripped off naked at the lake in front of women and children did it for me and I walked two miles back to camp. "Never again I said, over and over". The rest of my trip was spent in the woods all day, daylight to dark and I slept in the truck.

One of my peeves I went through with two so-called "Hunting buddies" was sharing my area of 640 acres and one turning me down to hunt on his 300. The other one decided he did not like me when I no longer had access to the 640 and would not even talk to me.

I did break my rule for a friend once to meet one of his friends upon Canyon creek and camp and hunt with me on Missionary Ridge in Colorado years ago (Bowhunting) and noticed right off his being late by two days to acclimate as I do.

I had already gone up high to Tank Creek and heard some bugling the day before and spotted a small herd in the park NW of Tank.

He asks me when he arrived that evening if he could go with me? I said I thought it was a bad idea.

None the less, he was up at 4 am making noise. I got up, got ready and we drove up to Tank. As it was breaking day I saw a Mule deer Buck on the side of the road, he had a deer tag he announced, Stop!

Ok, he gets out, nocks an arrow and he had buck fever so bad that he did not notice his arrow falling off and hitting the ground, Pop! He dry fired his Bow and looked back at me and asked, "Did I hit him?".

Now guess how the rest of the day went? I was bugling a little at a Raghorn and cannot keep him from cutting my recurve string with his nocked arrow(broadhead)which now after his mistake, he clung onto with dear life. I managed to move my Bow before he got it done.

The Raghorn was answered by a bigger Bull so off I went with the wind in my face toward the bigger Bull. I had this bigger Bull coming to my Cow call and this Goober stands up to look, Bull Gone!

Ok this guy paid! I took him way over Crazy woman and upon Stag Mesa and then up to the Needles drop off.11000 or so and he was crying about his headache and feet hurt all the way back to the truck but I decided to tell him we were lost.

After spending the rest of the day walking around up there (I was scouting) he was panicked somewhat and ask me when it had started getting dark if I had a flashlight? LMAO

He got to walk the last mile to the truck in the darkness trying to see and keep up with me.

He left the next morning and I went back up there and enjoyed the rest of my two weeks alone.

I hunt solo to this day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ive only found one true hunting buddy. We were in the Marines together and luckily ended up in MD for two years together after I got out of active duty and he stayed in.

We hunted or scouted together almost every other day for those two years. I was there for his first kill. We dragged deer out over 3 miles with them strapped to a sapling stretched from my shoulder to his. He was there when I finally killed a big 8 I had been after for months. Lots of good memories. I even gave his son the nickname Rut Wrecker when he was born in early November and that name sticks to this day.

Then he was cut orders and had to move across country. Been hunting solo the last 3 years since he has been gone but that is about to end. He finished his tour, requested orders back to MD, and three days from now him and his family will be living 5 minutes down the road.

Its gonna be a great year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Doofy, I think I'd hunt with Carson Wentz too.

I usually hunt alone, not because of bad hunting buddies, but I want to come and go when I want. Lot of tag issues, were guys quit applying and I continued.

A good hunting partner (I friggin' hate how they basterdized that term) can make a bad trip good and a good trip... better, much better, the best...

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I hunt with my dad and father inlaw. Cant find anyone else around who hunts as much or hard as I like to. Im really picky on playing the wind and staying as scent free as possible so that narrows my hunting buddy list a lot.

·
Premium Member
12,974 Posts
yeh, I do.

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Registered
273 Posts
Doofy, I think I'd hunt with Carson Wentz too.
LOL I will have to tell him that one. He always gives me a hard time for gaining weight over the last couple years but I like to think the momentum helps me out when it comes time to drag a critter or two out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Always. When I was younger, I came out when I had meat. Cheese, bread, grouse, fish, and tea will keep me anywhere for as long as it takes. Go to kill meat, not eat. Lost an eye this November and didn't get to kill my bear. NDN relatives brought elk and deer for us to eat this winter. Back riding and doing my cow work now. Kill a bear this spring or wait until fall.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Almost always.
I'm very focused when in the bush and have absolutely no time for pretenders.
My main issue has been liars.
If you don't have much time under your belt, just say so, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
But tell me your some great white hunter that has been every where an done everything, and I might just believe you, and worse still I might actualy rely on you.
I like to walk, aimlessly snoop about an then camp under a tree or something when the day light runs out.
Apparently this scares the crap out of your average great white hunter, because he's scared of the dark an mummys not there to tuck him in at night,,,,,,,,,,and what was that noise ?
I've pretty much come to believe that most that make the big claims seldom know what the heck their on about, and if they did then they certainly wouldn't be asking to come with me.
Even when I went on the odd club hunt I would still put aside a night or two to be by myself for awhile.
It's good like that because I can be my selfish self without effecting others.

John.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have two close friends that I often hunt with. Not always but most of the time. We share access to 5 different properties and I really enjoy hunting together. We celebrate each other's harvests as much as our own. My daughter is starting to come with me more and more and my focus is having fun with her vs. killing a big buck so the dynamics may change a bit but I have no doubt that we will continue hunting together.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
For the past twelve or so years most of my hunts have been solo. I like being able to come and go where I want when I want but, at times, I miss the social part of sharing adventures.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bow hunt solo for many years, but will buddy up on bird hunting just a good time sharing a bird hunt with good gun dogs. I look at solo bow hunting like sharing the 1 hole outhouse at the same time, just doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I will hunt solo or with anyone that can come generally. Now I say that until they completely screw up. I can tolerate a lot of things and getting game is secondary to spending time in the bush with friends....or...soon to be friends.

I have some now I WON'T HUNT WITH, but like I say....I will give them lots of ROPE :)

Jer

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I've always hunted solo because two guys make four times as much noise as one, and I cherish the freedom to act on hunches, move when I want and at my own pace, stay in one place as long as I want, take naps where and when I want to, never have to wonder whether that noise was a deer or my partner, and so forth.

Sometimes I'll share camp with a good friend whom I know really well, but it's amazing how much you learn about "good friends" when it's time to divvy up the backpack loads, share hunting spots, share expenses, pack out animals, observe ethics and etiquette, obey game laws, etc., etc.

When I did a lot of deep wilderness backpack hunting the bar was even higher because an inexperienced, foolish, or careless partner, or even one who has simply failed to get in shape prior to the hunt, can be a liability that puts YOU in more danger than you would be in if you were by yourself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I like camping with another guy but hunting solo. Sometimes we hunt in pairs...it just depends.

Somehow with a buddy I end up being 'Caller'...which I'm OK with.

Reactions: Wprovence

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I often hunt solo these days, lots of bad stories hunting out west like Sam. I got really tired of playing the guide all the time. Recently I had what I thought was the ideal hunting buddy but he stabbed me in the back after he used me to get him onto another buddies prime hunting land in MN. Ironically I also saved his life 2 years ago the last time we hunted. Now I'm choosy who I hunt with but I have no reservations to go alone. At first I was scared a bit but now I kinda prefer it (unless it's with great company). The only problem is all the mistakes made are your own!

It takes time to figure someone out and develop a long term relationship. I'll do anything for those who I really like to hunt with. I think they would do the same. Last year I bought a way too expensive antlerless elk tag just so I could help a buddy shoot a bull. That never happened but I would have been as happy as him if he did. That was where I filmed the bear encounter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
all hunting that is quiet hunting i do by myself. i hunt, to be alone in the wild and reflect on life.upland bird i will hunt with others if i trust them hunting around my dog. the exception to that is woodcock hunting i always do by myself because they often flush in a manner it is hard to get safe shots with others around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts