TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering getting a 21" riser to pair with my medium limbs to make a 64" recurve for hunting (in CA just open rolling hills so length not really an issue).
Nothing wrong with my 17" titan 1 riser though. My draw length is 28"ish so no stacking with the current medium limbs set up but I was wondering if the longer riser would make the bow feel smoother or less finger-pinchy (developing callus in my ring finger which is likely my own fault but a longer bow might help).

I guess it's one of those things I start to have ideas messing around with, now that I'm in a much better position shot control wise, compared with the past few years when I was in constant battle (more like torture tbh) with TP.

I'm looking really hard at the 21" risers and can't say I'm not drawn to them because how sleek they look in comparison to the shorty risers :)

In your experience do you feel like, given everything else being equal (even the draw weight as I have multiple sets of limbs to maintain the same draw weight), that a 21" riser gives you more accuracy over the shorter ones? I'm not into heavy risers because I cant the bow and don't feel like doing lateral raises when I'm shooting :D . The black elk or hoyt excel can be good (and inexpensive) candidates as they weigh roughly the same as the titan so I'm not lifting heavier weight trying to push my bow arm out.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
708 Posts
You are shooting now a 60" bow and you think about a 64". Accuracy wise when you shoot a 300 round the 4" extra length without additional weight will not show a clear increase - you will shoot your averages. But you can feel more comfortable shooting 4" longer bow.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't keep track of my score but i know that at 10-15 yards i shoot acceptably for hunting with 17" when I get back to 30 I shoot drastically more consistently with a 21" so much so that I won't shoot anything shorter no matter how cute I think those 17" risers are. The difference from 17 to 21 is dramatic for me. More so than when switching 21 to 25. For me 21-23 is ideal hunting riser length. That's just me...not a great shot needing all the forgiveness I can get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I’ll borrow my buddies 21 “ satori and try it out this weekend. It’s tempting to blame my inaccuracy on the bow but I understand a bow does make form consistency easier or harder the way it’s designed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I'm out of luck. He's lost the riser somewhere in his house can't find it for the time being. Guess I'll go acquire one.

I'm not sure if anyone has the same preference but I'm actually more comfortable with a medium weighted bow (mass weight) or light weight + a quiver kind of weight. Solid but not overly heavy in the range of 3+ lb. I'm very comforatble shooting my one piece recurve with a strap on quiver (total probably around 2 lb) and it points and holds very nice for me and I use the SGT on it which feels natural and comfy. I'm not too concerned about the pin float (long gap anyways) but being able to push out my bow arm to activate the SGT is a bit more challenging (requires more concentration) with the heavy risers where my bow arm shoulder tend to go up a bit more. Heck I even avoid lateral raises when I'm working out because they make me feel uncomfortable in my shoulders the next morning.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure about the accuracy part but 21 inch risers with medium limbs are my favorite hunting set-ups. Have not been in any situation where 64 inches was a drawback.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
I sent a PM Danshao

·
Registered
91 Posts
I shoot 17" das dalaa, i have 2, but i shot with a guy last year that a 21" dalaa, and it was sweet looking, now i want one! Thinking i should sell one of my 17" and buy one, dont know if i will shoot it any better, but its sweet looking!! Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the feedback and recommendations. I found a black elk riser 'in stock' from merlin in the UK with a pretty good price (and it's in bronze ;) ) so I ordered one later yesterday. Man I'm thinking about how sweet this bow will turn out once I put the medium uukha gobi on to make a 43-45# bow I'm already drooling. Getting a second hand bee stinger stab from a guy from fb as well. It'll all come together very soon.

Just two days ago I tried the long limbs on the titan to replace the medium limbs I've been shooting so far and I couldn't believe how much more solid the bow feels in the draw cycle. Granted the long limbs were 5# lighter but still..

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I have the Black Elk riser in black and my buddy's is camo. I wasn't aware that they were offered in bronze. Please post a photo when you get it. If you like a light weight riser, that setup should suit you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts