Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made a target filled with rubber mulch? I did some research and couldn't find anyone that has, just some people saying that the arrow might bounce around. I want to make a pretty big target that I could leave outside all the time and figured the rubber mulch would hold up the best

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Plastic grocery bags work the best... If you can find enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've read a lot of people saying that. There is no way I can find enough to fill around a 7 x 7 x 1. Basically a 7 foot square that's a foot deep. I might just buy a bag of the rubber mulch and shoot right at it to see what happens

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Shrink wrap works well too. Try a shipping warehouse. I have made three 2' cube targets out of grocery bags packed into a cardboard box and wrapped in shrink wrap.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just remembered another way someone told me about. Take your target bag/box/shell to a hot tub place and get them to fill it with the insulation foam.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Old clothes work pretty well and they are relatively easy to get. Ask a few friends if they got old clothes, towels, rags, etc. they want to get rid of and you can fill up a burlap sack pretty fast. Compress with a ratchet strap and you have a target bag that will last for tens of thousands of shots. Once the burlap gets shit out, rebag the whole thing into another sack and keep shooting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The insulation foam is a cool idea but it'll start to wear real bad in the same spot after multiple shots. I want something "self-healing". I wish I had a lot of plastic bags or areas to get that stuff. That's why I thought of rubber mulch, I can buy that pretty cheaply. I have an old clothes box I am using right now as my target. It won't work for leaving outside all the time though. It would smell horrible after the first month here in Florida.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old clothes work pretty well and they are relatively easy to get. Ask a few friends if they got old clothes, towels, rags, etc. they want to get rid of and you can fill up a burlap sack pretty fast. Compress with a ratchet strap and you have a target bag that will last for tens of thousands of shots. Once the burlap gets shit out, rebag the whole thing into another sack and keep shooting.
I got great success with old clothes too, as mentioned they are easy to get.
I just pack them inside hessian bag

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Use roofing insulation or wall space insulation, the stuff they blow in there.
It stops arrows dead real fast and it's very easy to draw your arrow back out from.
And it's cheap.

John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts