Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure I'm not the first one, but thought I'd share my experiment trying to make my own. Many people swear by Dynapuffs, and given you cannot buy them ready-to-go here in France, nor in other places I'm often in, I thought I'd have a crack at it.

Depending on where you are you will probably find the best place to get stock standard Dyneema rope is in a climbing shop, marine/yachting hardware shop or specialty rope/cord seller. Dyneema is actually a Dutch invention, and while you can get it in a lot of places in the EU it isn't cheap. 3m cost me EUR45, incl shipping. Still, it works out a lot cheaper in the long term to DIY.

The shop in France I bought my rope from didn't cite the strand count and only had it in silvery grey. Looking at their pictures I figured it looked as close as is possible to what 3 Rivers sell in their pre-cut/prepped 'Dynapuffs'.

Wood Natural material Basket Rope Event

It turns out that the Dyneema 10mm rope I bought has 16 'strands'. At 1.5" a silencer that would cover dozens of bows.

I went ahead and cut off 1.5" of it. It's really hard stuff, tougher than most rope I've worked with. You can't use scissors. You need downward pressure. I had to use my shaving sharp Spydeco EDC knife, with quite some sawing and downward pressure on a board.

Rather than going for 2x 8 strand silencers, I thought I'd go minimal and have 6 strands per silencer. One the scales they weigh in very light. My current cat whisker solution weighs in 10gn more than that per silencer.

Gesture Grey Font Wood Bicycle part

Wood Font Rectangle Electric blue Metal

For this particular bow (new bow day, will write about it tomorrow or the next) I could hear on a pluck it had a lot of high notes, so decided on putting the silencers on the 10th and 6th harmonics, measured back from the point the string touches the limb at each end. 49" of open string on this bow.

I cut a decent length of serving and threaded it through, then the 6 strands of Dyneema. I tied it in with the serving and put a dab of super glue on the double knot.
Grey Twig Wire fencing Mesh Rope

It's really 'waxy' and super fine and it's clear from the get go why it works. A few plucks and a bit of teasing, et voila

Window Plant Flower Twig Feather

Simple as that.

First impressions are that it's a big difference, even with this very small ball. All of the mid to high end notes gone. No doubt they are as good or better than cat whiskers, definitely better than equivalent or higher mass paracord, wool or polyester.

There is still a soft low note, so not 'dead' yet. I think if I made them 2" it would soak the lower notes alongside. Could also go to 7 or 8 strands a piece and leave them as is, or try moving what I have further down the string.

All said, very simple, cheap (in the long term) and effective. Looking forward to putting them through their paces in rain, and also recording bow sound from the target.

Cheers,

Remote

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Interesting method - I always followed Rasyad's intructional on youtube where he slips the sheath of the rope onto the string. I've done this, but I always had a problem with slipping and the puff moving... so tying into the string makes a lot of sense.

Here's the sheath method:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting method - I always followed Rasyad's intructional on youtube where he slips the sheath of the rope onto the string. I've done this, but I always had a problem with slipping and the puff moving... so tying into the string makes a lot of sense.

Here's the sheath method:
If you do this method I would do a constrictor knot that is a serious knot that holds

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do this method I would do a constrictor knot that is a serious knot that holds
One of my favourite knots. Learned it from the Ashley Book of Knots. IIRC he learned it from Portuguese sailors. I use it most weeks for something. Only regret I learned it so late in life!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using the 10 mm rope with the constrictor knot, but it was still sliding on the string. I then threaded a needle with a piece of serving and pushed the needle through the rope, next to the knot, trying to go through the string. Then back again and finished it off with a square knot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are those better than wool?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are those better than wool?
In my early opinion, yes. They silence a lot more at the same weight or less than wool or paracord, at least on the bow I've tried them on. Also don't seem to take and carry moisture. I've run them under the tap and it just shakes off. I read they don't catch and pick up sticks and leaves like wool (my major niggle). Yet to take them into the forest. Will be a while due to work travel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dyneema is better for this than paracord. Paracord is made out of nylon, which is very tough, cheap, but does absorb some water. Dyneema absorbs essentially no water and is very slippery, almost as slippery as teflon, so it doesn't tend to get snagged on brush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts