Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on getting a little more balance in my life, i.e., get away from competitive archery every now and then. My coach believes that I put too much pressure on myself. He is right. I am pretty intensely focused. So, I am at kayak school this weekend. Day 1 is over and my bow arm elbow is killing me, and I feel exhausted. Most of the day went pretty well. Self recoveries at the end of the day is what finished me off. Anyway, it is a good tired....I guess. Tomorrow is 7 hours of open water training. That means fighting wind and currents. Should be fun. I am not sure what else they have in store for us. Hopefully, we won't be practicing capsize recoveries in waves.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh yea, when I'm bummed with my archery game drowning myself always seems like a good out, lol! Just kidding, Steve, go for it. Been in canoes all my life and always wanted to learn the kayak thing, just never could seem to find the time. Now with my silver years rapidly approaching and hips/knees that need replacing,, the trip to the can in the AM can be quite an adventure!

·
Registered
540 Posts
One of the most educational lessons I've ever had was taking a kayak lesson held in an indoor swimming pool at a local high school. Hands-on experience in getting out of a capsized kayak and how to get back in it from the water.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, day 2 is done and I have not hurt this much in a long time. And I am not a rookie in a kayak. It was a great class. I finally got to use the paddle float that I have been carrying on my boats. You really can get yourself back in a kayak with it. I also learned that it is very difficult to get back in a kayak, unassisted, without one, even on flat water. That would probably make it near impossible on the open sea, unless you are very good. It was a great day on the open water. We ate lunch, or tried to, with all of our boats linked together, bobbing in the ocean. That helps keep the food down. Also, if you wanted to pee, you had to jump out of your kayak, which one person did. I guess you could have peed in a bottle in your cockpit, but you would have had to get past your spray skirt, wet suit, and whatever was underneath, and nothing had zippers !!!!l I guess I could have gone Freedom 7 in the wet suit. Houston, permission to relieve myself in the suit. We were not taught to kelp pee. You will have to Google if you want to know what that is.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I just go out to a tree. If I can't find a limb to build a bow out of, I get a branch and carve out an animal.

Here I aim roughing out a chicken.

I got an artistic streak in me. Too bad I did not get the talent to go with it. Come to think of it kinda like archery :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good to hear you enjoyed your weekend Hank.
I'm totally self taught in all aspects of Kayaking myself, from both books and mistakes.
I taught myself exits and recoveries in the local pool and I'll still practice now an then.
I've met a lot of kayakers that have never tried to get back in or on, mostly fishermen learning the ropes.
Usually fat unfit and clueless about what's going to be a hell of a surprise when it happens.
Older Kiwi males,can't do anything about it,,,LOL.

John.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crunch,

I think you got it. I did my "try not to die" thing while intentionally capsizing. I am tall and the first time I flipped I got jammed trying to exit. It is hard to get long legs and big feet out of a kayak. I often wondered whether I could have been able to get out of my kayak two years ago when my wife and I toured Clayoquot Sound Vancouver Island. We had so much stuff in our group that we had to load dry bags between our legs and had gear stuffed in every available space in the cockpit. And yes, that is a USA Archery dry shirt I am wearing.

This is my wife, visible above the gear strapped to the top of our kayak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.