Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at these two bows for my next bow and wanted to get some opinions on them. I know there is a price difference but I think one of them would do me well as a step up from my Samick Sage.
I am looking at a fun bow with a set of light limbs and a set of heavier limbs for hunting. I really like the idea of ILF limbs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^ Thanks. I am leaning towards the Discovery, with the positive reviews I’ve seen and a price point I am very comfortable with. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I own both .
Actually I have a couple Discoverys.
I prefer the Discovery over the Satori. I must , I grab it more when going out to shoot . It feels better .
The Hoyt a 19” riser , is a nice bow , but it’s heavier and has a little too much deflex for me . I don’t feel as comfortable shooting the Hoyt , like I do the Discovery.
And it cost double what the Discovery cost .
But I can say I own a Hoyt . :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never had or shot the satori but I bought a discovery riser and then another since I liked it so much. If you might be swayed to go with a longbow limb, the daas bamboo core’s from 3 rivers make a nice setup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Discovery and a Satori. My comparison is not exactly apples to apples because my Satori is 21 inches long vs the 17-inch Discovery.

Aside from the cheaper price, I like the balance better on the Discovery and found it perfect for a stick on rest like the Super Rest. The finish on the Satori makes stick on rests too easy to fall off. But since I shoot off the shelf, I find the Satori strike plate feature more convenient for setting up the center shot. Also, I'm just a target shooter, making the 21-inch Satori more ideal for my purpose.

Both risers have radiused shelves, and both allow the use of plungers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like what I’m hearing about the Discovery, and a little more than half the price.
What’s the story on their carbon/foam limbs, they seem like the way to go?
Also, with the ILF limbs how much can they be adjusted in poundages?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I decided to go with the Discovery. I’ve read hundreds of reviews and all but a very few were positive on the Discovery. The price is a factor also. I found a good deal on the riser and a descent deal on the limbs. The only thing is after thinking about it I will probably get a flipper rest and a plunger button instead of shooting off the shelf like I planned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I tried an AAE and plunger and did not care for it. It seemed noisy to me and over complicated for hunting. I tried 6 different stick on rests and found I needed to build shelf out too much. I bought probably $25 work of pads and another $25 in stick on rests and then finally broke down and bought a $50 adjustable side plate from The Push Archery. Bullet proof adjustable plate should outlast the bow. Now both my risers have one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For my side plate I use stickyback Velcro . Underneath, over the spot of my hand placement on the grip , I place a piece of wood cut from a branch .
I have an elm tree beside the garage and I cut a small branch from it . I cut a small section from the area that’s maybe 1/4” diameter .
This I split so I have a flat side that goes against the riser , rounded side facing out .
I can adjust by trimming the piece or cutting a larger or smaller piece of branch .
Velcro holds it in place . Cheap and effective.
Used to use matchsticks, but bows nowadays have more center shot .
I do this with the Satori also . It takes a larger diameter branch than the Discovery .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I tried an AAE and plunger and did not care for it. It seemed noisy to me and over complicated for hunting. I tried 6 different stick on rests and found I needed to build shelf out too much. I bought probably $25 work of pads and another $25 in stick on rests and then finally broke down and bought a $50 adjustable side plate from The Push Archery. Bullet proof adjustable plate should outlast the bow. Now both my risers have one.
I'm just wondering if you started with a better rest and plunger how that would have worked out but I do understand what your saying about complicating a hunting rig.
Many years ago I used a button and flipper rest on my bows with good results. I liked the tune ability they offered. I do like the simplicity of shooting off the shelf, my other two bows are set up that way.
I just checked out that adjustable side plate and I really like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an AAE Free Flyte on mine and had to add a shim between the rest mount and the riser to get it to adjust far enough to center. Also had to bend the springy arm way in to bring the arrow closer to center.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if I go with a rest and a plunger which ones do I need?

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
An AAE ST-300 stick-on rest would be my choice.
And any plunger, really. Shibuya DX is a solid performer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For those who are considering a stick-on rest for a Discovery riser, I strongly recommend the Hoyt Super Rest. It comes with 2 adhesive pads with different thickness. It's so easy to match the thickness of your arrows for tuning the center shot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a stick on (flipper rest ll) come off on me many years ago in a tree in the early am so I not hot on them.
Redfin was kind enough to send me a rest and plunger for my new Discovery (when it gets here), I will try that but if I don’t like it I will get one of those Accutune adjustable strike plate from Push archery.
I like stuff that bolts on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I second the Hoyt super rest that thing is awesome and simple I recently slapped one on my penthalon riser since shooting off the shelf wasn’t working good enough for me. Night and day difference. I tried off the shelf on my DAS but always went back to the plunger and t300 hunting rest. Will grab a couple more of the super rest as back up since they are cheap and extremely durable

·
Registered
75 Posts
Currently shooting a 17” Satori riser with Samick C3 Discovery limbs, great combination. Selling the Hoyt limbs that came with the riser, and getting some more Samicks. The riser I absolutely love, the factory wood grip fits my hand perfectly, and I like the deflex. I’m more accurate with this setup than any I’ve tried to date(20 years shooting recurve) Of course, the best for me is not going to be the best for you. Try as many bows out as possible to find what fits you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I finally got my Discovery riser today and I couldn’t be happier. I set it up with the flipper rest and plunger Redfin gave me and did a quick set up with bare shafts. I did some shooting and I couldn’t be happier. The grip and bow feels great but most of all the limbs (Samick foam/carbon limbs for a 62” bow) do not stack like my Samick Sage.
I couldn’t believe how well I shot with it with just a quick setup. I bought 35 and 45lb limbs and plan on using the 45lb for hunting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts