Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no expert, but I like to ride. I'm not a risky driver. Never have jumped big jumps, at 48, I don't think I'll learn it now. Started with my sons first bike. Was a full time job just keeping it going. But I learned alot. Only a year later and the whole family has bikes. I have bought, rebuilt and sold several so far. I enjoy fixing them. Mostly top ends. Not yet ventured into spliting the lower case yet. We ride my hunting lease trails with the exception of deer season and a month prior. We also go to "Carolina Adventure World". Great place to ride.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Gratmac's pic

That root at the top of the hill. Good thing it is perpendicular to the trail. Those things covered with leaves, at an angle will pull your front tire out from under you

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Gratmac's pic

Where we ride at Carolina Adventure World, that rut would have a twin. Mostly 4 Wheelers ride there. It makes for tough riding. Because you can't just stay on a side or in the middle. We usually ride the "easy" trails because most of the ruts are on the harder trails

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Grants pic

Cameras don't capture angles well, but I can tell by the tress in relation to the grade. That would be one scary down ride.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I stick to the unmotorised 2 wheelers.
that said. I do enough damage to myself without a motor.
right ankle clicks when i walk. and i have scars from 75 stitches in my right arm.
my legs get me into enough trouble without motors. but I do look on in envy...

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
true story. a friend and i were bear hunting outside of glenoma, a small western washington place, and drove by a " dirt bike for sale" sign. bob stopped and remarked how he was looking for one of those. we walked up to the house and this huge guy came out and led us around back where there was a new kawasaki 450. he started it up and said what he was asking for it. he was revving the throttle and bob asked him "what will it do?" when the guy turned back to answer, he released the clutch just as he had maxxed the throttle. the bike stood up and flipped on top of him. he got up, grabbed the bike and threw it into the bushes, (i said he was a BIG guy), turned to bob and said, "thats what it will do! it's not for sale!!".
two years later the bike was still laying in the brush by his house.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
I call this my dirt bike! I get year round use out of it and there are some awesome hills and trails in the 100,000 acres of state land right behind my property. This pic is the beginning of this winter back in November. I had a Honda 90 back in the 80's and I had a lot of fun and crashes on. Went to road bikes for a while and now on to these mud hole riders.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
BMW 650 single. It was geared way too high. You could not ride it a parade speed with out riding the clutch. It would do 80 on the highway all day long but would not do 15 mph on a fire road. Had to spend $2k to make a fire road bike out of it.

I got it down now. I can pick the front wheel up and put it on a down fall log all most like a trials. I lighten the massive exhaust system with a custom made with spark arrestor.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Around here you've got two choices, up and down!

Honestly those pictures are from earlier on in my single-track riding days and we got onto much tougher stuff later on.

The most fun trail I ever found was a couple of miles of what we call root steps:
Basically the trail erodes down to the roots which form steps just like a staircase going up the hill, usually takes a good 2-3 feet of erosion. I think it's the rain which does it in the winter after the trail has been ridden hard. This seems to happen in Fir forests with trees around 12-18" in diameter much like the last picture.

So you are basically going up a 8-16" step about every 1.5 bike lengths. It's the kind of trail that needs finess and momentum but keeps the speeds low enough that making a mistake doesn't result in more than a nice bruise.

My second favorite sort of trail is a dried watercourse down granite rock. You get the same sort of stepping but they aren't as tall and the traction is much better.

Most guys around here stick to the forest roads and gravel pits. They just want to go fast it seems. For me running that sort of speed offroad just seems like a recipe for head-on collisions or hitting wildlife.

1gr8bldr:
What sort of terrain are you riding? Rock or sand? We don't have any sand here and honestly it scares the crap outta me.

Sid:
Mountainbikes always hurt me the worst. The whole technique of shedding as little speed as possible seems to result in more massive accidents in my experience. You would LOVE a trials motorbike.

JParanee:
My best friend Caleb has a 525EXC (he's on the older KTM in the picture) and that thing is just a sledgehammer. My DRZ has much more bottom end though and I'd describe it as "tractor-like".

-Grant

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
dont say that Grant.
my bike and I have been on chairlift holidays in the alps and even to south island NZ.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I have several single speeds myself.

This is one of my favorites. There is a climb in a single track near my house. I had climb the hill thousands of time. It started to get harder. Debbie and I were riding when one day I got to the top and I knew it was over. Went to the cardiologist next day. A week later had five bypasses.

Cardiologist said he did not understand why I had not had a heart attack years ago. I told him I just kept turning those pedals till they would not turn anymore. :)

Keep those peddles turning

·
Registered
414 Posts
I rode dirt bikes my entire adult life, from the early days of motocross to slower enduros and hare scrambles. When I reached age 59, it became completely clear that I was, despite my experience, starting to break more than bounce on the inevitable get-offs. I will say that selling my last off- road KTM (and all the supporting equipment to keep me from getting going again) has been more bothersome than I would have predicted.

Mark

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I have several single speeds myself.

This is one of my favorites. There is a climb in a single track near my house. I had climb the hill thousands of time. It started to get harder. Debbie and I were riding when one day I got to the top and I knew it was over. Went to the cardiologist next day. A week later had five bypasses.

Cardiologist said he did not understand why I had not had a heart attack years ago. I told him I just kept turning those pedals till they would not turn anymore. :)

Keep those peddles turning

No rear break... you riding a fixie?

also excuse me while i drool over your snowflake spokes.

(ive built a few wheels myself, but never a snowflake)

is that a 3 twist?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Fixie? Yes. All three of my SS are direct drive. More control.

I ride with a bike wizard/artist. He built the three twist for me.

The disk breaks are finicky and breakable. My town SS is fixie sans breaks.

I had my trek 69er convert to fixed gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts