Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me 15" Sky TDX riser coming. I have a set of extra-long Morrison Carbon/Bamboo longbow limbs that I absolutely love to shoot. I'm trying to put together a shorter bow for hunting and 3D. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem...15" riser + extra-long limbs make a 62" bow, right? Here's where the problem arises.....for me.

These limbs on my Black Bear Warf will do backflips unless I loosen preload and set my BH at 9.75" or better. I hear of shooters able to use crazy low brace heights with some combinations of riser/longbow limbs. I'd like to order one string, not one to see if it'll work and another when I find out, and I'd prefer not to have to twist it to the moon. What's my best course of action?

Can I expect the same brace height situation with this shorter riser? I'm hoping someone has fought this battle before, has an idea of what the brace height on this rig might be, and/or what length string would be the best choice. I'd sure appreciate hearing from anyone who's can share a similar experience.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
longrifle346, I surely cannot help you with idea`s on where to put your brace height, but if your limbs have reinforced tips I can help you with a couple of strings that should be adjustable enough to play with to help you find exactly where you want to end up brace height wise.

The only material I have left right now is flo green 8190, and end serving is olive drab, but color aside, my endless strings are as good as they get.

I would be happy to help you, but I don`t work cheap.;)

The price of two strings will cost you a burger and a bottle of water if we ever meet up at a shoot. Prices are non-negotiable. :D

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I just received two BCY X strings from Chad

One Flemish one endless

Same strand count

I will be testing them on my Covert Hunter and I will let you know :)

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I had a TDX15 with long Dryad ACS-4G limbs for a 60" bow. If I recall correctly, I had a brace of 6 7/8" and used a string 58" long.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mitch that is a price I would happily pay...and invite you and your wife over for a steak afterwards!! LOL, If I knew what length string I needed I really could care less about the color!

JParanee I've used Chad with great success in the past, he'll get the next phone call. Both his strings(of those I've dealt with) and customer service are second to none....

j-san... that's the kind of hands-on info I was hoping for but it defies the common trend of a -3" for a longbow string. I'd love to see those kinds of numbers for BH with this bow, it'd be a seriously smooth power stroke....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts