Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard it said several times that trueflight feathers are superior to Gateway. I am currently fletching some gateways. Can someone point out the difference?

Second question. Which wing fletch helps the field points stay tight? I have many of both right and left wing and they all get loose

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
Gateway bird or Trueflite bird? There's the question.
I've heard it said the RW helical tightens up the screw in points, as it spins clockwise in flight and as it impacts target.
Seems like I have seen it on some of my arrows too, but too cold here to check it out....shooting I mean.
Also, I do not know, I am a rookie feather guy....but I think you'll get the Chevy-Ford-Chrysler discussion going with which feather is superior.
I've hoid it both ways....Trueflight or Gateway, I mean.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
RW feathers curve to the left if you look from the nock end forwards and also have the lip of the quill on the left. LW feathers curve to the right and have the quill lip on the right side.

I've used both LW and RW feathers in the past and find it really doesn't affect point loosening. Try a bit of string wax or thread sealer tape on the threads. You can also get small o-rings to help prevent point loosening as well.

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
YEH but Jason, which is the better brand of fedders? Come on give it up to us.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Trueflight, hands down, quill is ground smooth with no irregular rough spots to screw up adhesion. Gateway aint that way

Both work. But one requires at lot more attention than the other

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dug around in my junk box and found some feathers that are likely trueflight. The base at the rear is the same as the front. The gateways start with a good base but it gets narrow at the back. These feathers are 20 + years old... wonder if I could still use them,,, would they hold up? They look fine.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I shoot left wing and yes the points come loose. Ive got jigs and single bevel broad heads, so Im invested in left wing for awhile. Ive done tape, string wax, hot melt, but will likely get some loctite and be done with it.

·
Spearhead
3,335 Posts
Kenn, I've shot left wing almost 20 years and only time the points loosen is when I don't have wax on the threads. Don't be shy about the wax, I even put it in the shank of the point.
If you've done that something isn't right? I don't know but wax should do it, before going to lock tight use fingernail polish it will act as a mild lock tight.
I use fingernail polish on my compound cam modules and they don't loosen, and they have quite a bit if vibration.

Chad

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I thought right handed archers used left wing and left handed right wing. but I for got why lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
I thought right handed archers used left wing and left handed right wing. but I for got why lol
That's the old advice and was based on the false premise that the arrows start spinning straight out from the shelf. But, modern high speed video shows that arrow does not start spinning till it has cleared the bow, so most people now think it does not matter which way it spins. Hence, LW or RW is fine for any handedness or drawing technique.

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
That's the old advice and was based on the false premise that the arrows start spinning straight out from the shelf. But, modern high speed video shows that arrow does not start spinning till it has cleared the bow, so most people now think it does not matter which way it spins. Hence, LW or RW is fine for any handedness or drawing technique.
That is good news thanks. I am a righty and all I got is right wing :)

·
Spearhead
3,335 Posts
Right or left wing doesn't matter for arrow impact or hand of archer, only when when fletching arrows left wing left clamp same for right.

I was taught left wing for right hand archer also Rusty.

I think a lot comes from shooting off the hand when you need left fletch for a right hand archer?

Chad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I prefer True Flight because they seem to last a little longer,and their bases are most definitely more consistent and even.
I've just finished fletching up some arrows with GateWay Rayzrs,and I'm not very happy with the way some of the bases are fat and some are thin, plus the two that went in the bin because the bases were not flat, but ran from thick to thin.
One from the front and the other from the back.
The Rayzrs were much better last time I bought them.
I might change to a 3" Trueflight next time I buy short feathers.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
I used Tru Flight for years and then bought some Gateway and it was noticeable right away the the bases were not as good. RW come from the birds right wing and LW from the left.

Loose points are really annoying. I've tried string wax and plumbers tape and neither of those kept my points tight. I found some points at LAS with the O ring and they do stay tight.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I use Right wing feathers and I am right handed. I just seem to get better flight with RW for some reason. I've never used True flight feathers but I may try them soon. I do get significant feather wear with gateway and AMG.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Truflight - as stated, bases are much more consistent and usually thinner.

RW vs LW - Years ago it was stated LW for RH shooter, and vice versa. The logic I always heard was it kept the quill tip from stabbing your bow hand.

Loose tips - I've always heard RW doesn't because of the twist in flight. I've shoot LW for 40 years so I don't know.

If wax doesn't work, nail polish or PURPLE lock tight. Purple (222)is for small machine screws and is the weakest, blue (242) is next and then red (262). (with multiple variations in between)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
So far as the loose tips, I use Ferr-L-Tite low temp glue (the blue stick stuff) for my inserts and tips. Heat the threads on the tip and add just a tiny dab of the glue and screw them in before the glue cools and hardens. To remove them just heat the tip a bit to loosen the glue and it can be removed.
You can also use the rubber "O" rings like come with Thunderhead broadheads. My local shop sells them in bags of 100. They will break and will need replaced. The glue lasts longer and is cheaper but some folks don't have the low temp glue sticks.
I have shot both left and right helical. The original thought was that the left helical was rotating the arrow away from the riser of a right hand bow for better fletching clearance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts