Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sbrug:

I mean the bare riser, not what's mounted on it. Can you do both with the same riser?

I'm assuming limbs are basically the same, either ILF or specific to the riser.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
For 99% of them it's just a redistribution of weight and/or a built-in weight kit.

I honestly believe that there hasn't been an exhaustive study of what would make the best possible BB riser because it's too easy to just produce a riser with Oly geometry.

-Grant

Reactions: Easykeeper

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I'm no expert here but to get it rolling, most Olympic risers are light than BB specific risers and I believe the geometry tends to be different but both can be used for either with the right add ons. They are normally iLF or formula limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
There's only so much mass someone can hold out on an extended arm. a BB riser likely weighs the same as an Oly riser with all it's weights and stabs. With an Oly rig though you want the riser to have very little mass and the weights at the ends of the stabs to have as much weight as possible in order to increase the moment of inertia of the entire set up

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
You can get any riser to shoot Barebow, just some do it better than others, geometry seems very similar and the dedicated Barebow risers tend to be heavier and a few of the higher end ones have tried to make theirs much stiffer than standard risers.

When I first switched from 3 under Bowhunter to Barebow Stringwalking I was shooting a W&W Pro-Accent it worked well for norml 3 under but struggled with long range tune on Stringwalking and had to keep adjusting the plunger on the longer shots, when I had the funds I went for a more dedicated Barebow riser and the first thing I noticed was the ease of tune I didn't really understand the differences in geometry but I'm guessing a heavier/stiffer riser lends itself better to Stringwalking. The limiting factor between Olympic and dedicated Barebow is on Olympic you are limited where you can add weight to best balance the riser, most of the Barebow risers have options to add/remove weight to suit the Archers needs.

Some Olympic risers work really well for Barebow, last WA3D worlds I saw a few of the new Inno Max's, these Barebow guys figure out what works pretty quickly. I tend to observe and talk to good shooters on their impressions of particular risers and you can build up a good short list of potential risers for Barebow.

Ironic that the best riser I've shot to date in Barebow just happens to be a dedicated Olympic riser, so maybe the future is as risers become stiffer and stronger materials develop it will end up that any of the newer risers will soon work perfectly for Barebow.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
in our opinion there is a small but subtle difference that very few take advantage of.

can explain later but im heading out right now.
see if i can explain later

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've always been under the belief that Earl Hoyt worked out the best geometry years ago, and it's still the standard in Western archery today.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Long is for target shooting, short is for hunting, anything in between is up to the shooter.

They will all still have the same angles per length an such "Geometry" =====Earl Hoyt.

John.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like you hear your thoughts too Sid.

Thanks everybody, this is helping.

I'm very much enjoying the "Riser comparison" thread that's active right now but didn't want to derail it with my question.

I'm kind of in the slow, can't-afford-a-new-bow-right-now, research phase for a more target oriented recurve. I'm very nicely set on the "traditional" stickbow side of things (;)) but would like to explore the more high-tech side. When I finally do buy one, I'd like to get a riser that could be set up for both Olympic style shooting and also be a good bare-bow riser. I assume there might be compromises involved in getting that good-all-around riser so the more I know about them the better.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I'd like you hear your thoughts too Sid.

Thanks everybody, this is helping.

I'm very much enjoying the "Riser comparison" thread that's active right now but didn't want to derail it with my question.

I'm kind of in the slow, can't-afford-a-new-bow-right-now, research phase for a more target oriented recurve. I'm very nicely set on the "traditional" stickbow side of things (;)) but would like to explore the more high-tech side. When I finally do buy one, I'd like to get a riser that could be set up for both Olympic style shooting and also be a good bare-bow riser. I assume there might be compromises involved in getting that good-all-around riser so the more I know about them the better.
I think your better option is a mid weight barebow riser if your wanting to double duty it. I have a best moon and a sf forged + and while they seemingly weigh the same, the moon has better shot reaction when neither has any weights. The more oly orientated SF seems to want the top limb to kick back even with a short stab on it. Could I shoot it bb, of course, but the moon would be my choice if weights were not an option(like ibo trd).

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
to get a riser to balance. you can move the grip around vertically.
this moves the location that you hold around the center of gravity
so when the grip is low on the riser. the riser will be top heavy.
if the grip is high in the riser it will be bottom heavy

so the next concern is window length.
window length is a issue of bow speed. and face length. covered by a huge probkem of range of distances.

so grip position is related to the need for window length. and bow balance.

since oly bows naturally have the longrods below the grip then the balance issue is sorted.
but if you want a unweighted natural sitting barebow. then you move the grip
when the grip is well placed the bows reaction is more nutral and jumps forward better.
when you dont have stabilisers to balance the bows reaction. you find naked oly riser have a tendancy to tip
this in our experience is because the bow wants you to push it high in the grip due to the grip being low in the first place

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I do not know the difference' but I know what they have in common:
Neither was built by a bowyer!
That might explain why they are more accurate. :jk: Id venture a guess that a lot of the wood ilf or bolt down risers now days are cut on a cnc machine. Are these not built by a bowyer?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I like bows that are designed by a good Engineer, computer modeled, and machined on a CNC machine, I also have a deep appreciation for an Osage character bow, patiently coaxed from within the excess wood of a snarly, twisted stave.....it's all good!....Jim

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I come from an engineering back ground and I love the machining skills and finishing of alloy risers like DAS, Titan, and others I can't spell.
There's a real beauty in precision engineering, and the bow being one of humanity's very first machines, lends it's self well to the task.

Everything else is of course very cool as well.

John.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
:sbrug:

I mean the bare riser, not what's mounted on it. Can you do both with the same riser?

I'm assuming limbs are basically the same, either ILF or specific to the riser.
I have a GMX and WinstarII; had a Nexus and GM, and did not like shooting them barebow without weight added below the grip. I have never shot a riser made with barebow in mind except a Bob Gordon warf with his stealth weight in the lower pocket.

After shooting a properly weighted Oly riser I'll never shoot an Oly riser barebow with no added weight. It feels horrible and mine refuse to sit dead in the hand after the shot and I better hang on because it's gonna jump around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts