Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have probably read about the fitness and nutrition changes I made and the remarkable results I have had. I just made an interesting observation today comparing previous results from when I was on a doctor supervised, low calorie, extremely low carb, NO EXERCISE diet, and my current diet with exercise approach.

I have a pair of shorts marked 29 inch waist that I bought at a tournament when I weighed 160 pounds. This was after my initial NO EXERCISE diet was complete and I was in maintenance mode. I now fit into those same pants at 175 pounds. That is a 15 pound differences for the same belt size when going from no exercise, to exercise. My body fat level is still a bit higher than when I weighed 160 but it is clear that my body mass is considerably more dense when exercise is added to diet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diet, or better put, nutrition can only get us about 80% of the way to where we want to be. It took me a good long time to really understand the best current thinking on nutrition but eventually I got. A good deal of focus on clean animal based protein, healthy fats, vegetables and some fruit for carbohydrates. It was until I started full body exercises that I really achieved good overall health. I'm now, and have been for about 3 years now, at 54 healthier than I have been since easily my early 20s. Keep up the good work Hank.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Nice work Hank, glad you are taking care of yourself and getting results.

It took me a good long time to really understand the best current thinking on nutrition but eventually I got. A good deal of focus on clean animal based protein, healthy fats.
Woodeye,
If I may ask...Would you expand on this please?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I did the opposite Hank and got opposite results as you would expect. I was 238lbs and dropped to 174lbs over a 3 month period. It was a work sponsored weight loss competition and I won it. I restricted myself to 1100 cals a day and went nutz on my elliptical machine. Now I'm back to 230 a few years later and my pants size that I was at when I was 238 are tight now. This indicates to me that I lost a lot of muscle mass with that crash weight loss. At one point I was averaging 1lb a day weight loss and I was plenty hydrated the entire time. Im 6'2" and the bummer was even at 174 I still had a gut. :confused:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Many have probably read about the fitness and nutrition changes I made and the remarkable results I have had. I just made an interesting observation today comparing previous results from when I was on a doctor supervised, low calorie, extremely low carb, NO EXERCISE diet, and my current diet with exercise approach.

I have a pair of shorts marked 29 inch waist that I bought at a tournament when I weighed 160 pounds. This was after my initial NO EXERCISE diet was complete and I was in maintenance mode. I now fit into those same pants at 175 pounds. That is a 15 pound differences for the same belt size when going from no exercise, to exercise. My body fat level is still a bit higher than when I weighed 160 but it is clear that my body mass is considerably more dense when exercise is added to diet.
How long were you on the no exercise diet? What kind of meal plan did you have? I have cut back on my food intake. No bread,rice (my fav food) and pasta. Just vegetables, fruits and protein shakes and other sources of protein. and I have lost about about 5 pounds in 9 days. The only exercise I do is mountain biking and not very regularly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts