Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post where you mentioned being beat in competitions. I also read your a good sport win or loose. Your posting some amazing scores in practice and competition. I'd like to hear the archery journey you have been on from your first shot till now and all the ups/downs along the way. Turning points in your journey that were good or bad, I'm sure it would be interesting to all here. There are a few members on here I'd like to hear about, but let's start with "The Bow Dog". :D

Reactions: Joefire36

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, to start this probably ain't going to be very good so you stop reading now!!!

If not then here goes....BowDog came from my Kennel that I was operating raising German Shorthair Pointers...I also trained them and competed with them in bird dog trials thru NSTRA,AKC.

I got my first recurve when I was 12 couldn't figure out how to shoot it so I drilled it and mounted a single pin sight and still couldn't hit nothing...

Then in 2004 opening day of bow season my sight pins had vibrated loose on the ATV ride back to my lease and there I was frustrated...I came home furious took the sights off and threw them as far from me as I could...then I started looking down the arrow with my compound and release up high next to my eye...got really good...killed a doe a week later at 20 yards..

I was at a friends house who was a predator dealer he handed me the bow,tab,armgurad,arrows and threw a tuna can out in the yard and told me to focus only on the can..I hit it 4 out if 6 times...

I kept trying to only focus on the spot,split finger,and couldn't get the accuracy I wanted aft 1,000s of shots frustrated again,sold it all after a year...went back to the wheels to hunt...still burning to learn to the recurve...bought it all again after 3 weeks of deer season...didn't change anything and nothing changed still sucked...my dad told me I would never be good enough to shoot a deer with a recurve bow....this really made me mad...but the way I was shooting he was right and I knew it.

I sold it all again...defeated,embarrassed, this time I bought a $1200 ACS longbow 64" 54# didn't change nothing a d once again nothing changed...but I was getting desperate...so I joined a indoor league...I didn't know what the arrows numbers meant I bought what was on sale..I was shooting a 340 beman classic....I was holding at 5 o'clock 12" low and 12 right never broke a 189...thwt was 2009

Then I kept buying bows looking for the one that would hit every 10 ring I bought and sold over 100 since 2009. Finally bought MBB with Rod Jenkins showing the gap methiod...I knew it something I had to learn and I did...I went to the trad Worlds in 2010 I was practicing 3 hours per day at least 300 shots a day my elbows,shoulders,back every muscle was exhausted from shooting way too much but I couldn't be beat here locally....

2010 Trad Worlds I had already bought the belt to wear the buckle on...honestly...went and got beat to death...could not control my nerves, finished 18 th...but knew what I had to work on...learned ALOT...in2011 started shooting other IBO shoots with John Dimmer and Jim Powell once again got beat to death....but was still learning..and shooting better..

In 2012 my Dad was dying with cancner and my mind was anywhere but shooting the bow and my scores proved it...missed the Trad Worlds because he died on July 19 2012..the opening day of Trad World...once he was gone my mind was clear and I felt like I had something to prove to him and myself...

In 2013 I kept perfecting my form patience and discipline...I shot in 5 ASA shoots and 5 IBO shoots never placed worse than 2nd won ASA shooter of the year,won the IBO Triple crown,the IBO Trad Worlds turned in the highest score the whole weekend...placed 2nd at the IBO Worlds behind John Dimmer who has became a dear friend..

One of the greatest lessons learned for me was at Louisville in 2013 I got to watch Alan Eagleton shoot a bow and just watching him taught me as much as anything...so much patience,discipline and humbleness...

My journey with a recurve bow has been tough, long,expensive and sometimes heartbreaking...but through the valleys there has been the mountaintops...and if I never even place in another shoot the friends I've met like Calvin,John,Mitch,Scott Antzak,Jared,Dave Wallace,James Ruley Alan Eagleton,jason Wesbrock,Matt Potter and so many more this journey has been awesome...I don't regret one minute...

Dewayne Martin

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Love it DeWayne, honest and open. I had a great time watching you shoot in Cleveland, I learned a ton. You really are one of the good guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
Good stuff, Dewayne. For any of you that have not met Dewayne he is a class act. He helped to settle my nerves a bit at my first IBO shoot last year, Indiana I believe, where I got the pleasure of shooting the hunter round with him, John Demmer and some others.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Great story Dwayne and I'm sure there will be many additions. One question does this mean you don't want to see a picture of my Britney pup ?
Gary

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Gary, I've owned almost as many bird dogs as I have bows....I have only owned 2 Brittanies but YES I'd love to see a pic of your Brittany pup...

My website it still up and running if anybody wants to take a look it's under

Wilson Creek Kennels christiansburg va.

Dewayne

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Great story of perseverance, Dewayne. Congrats on your accomplishments. I really enjoyed your bird dog website, too. Nothing like hunting behind a good pointer and just watching the dog work. Good stuff!

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Dewane, inspirational!
Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.
I hope he was able to see you succeed. Nothing better than your kids do better than yourself.

Chad

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dewayne, thanks for taking the time to tell your story. You are an inspiration! I miss seeing you at STAR and some of the other local shoots. I would love to move on to some of the bigger shoots, but family life takes a front seat for now.

Best of luck this year!

Allen

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great story Dewayne. I can certainly relate to your struggles and your drive to become better. Remember Bedford? I shot with Dimmer the first day and you on Sunday....got support from both of you. You really helped me through the long day on Sunday. I walked away with a new plan...thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you Dewayne wonderful story. I'm glad it's just the first couple of chapters because you've got many years ahead of you to "complete" this book of yours. I'm thankful that I got to meet you last year at Nationals after purchasing your Nilo riser in December. Unfortunately as with any new toy I had to choose between the Nilo and the Triple Crown.

Like anything it's what you put into it whether it be archery, family or your job, the results are proportional to your time, effort and dedication.

See you in Louisville!

LBL

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Nice story of determination. :)

In terms of work done, form and time, what individual things have made the most difference in your shooting?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Nice story of determination. :)

In terms of work done, form and time, what individual things have made the most difference in your shooting?
Definitely switching to 3 under,using a dedicated method.

walk to the stake, judge the distance, set the gap and execute the shot...under any amount of pressure.

Dewayne

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think this is a good thread. Its nice to hear someones story on how they have traveled to where they are

I would like to see this type of thread to continue on. An idea is maybe Dewayne can nominate the next person to tell their story. then they can nominate the next, etc etc etc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts