Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worn dentures for about 30 years now.
I've only ever had two pairs, the first pair being very good and the latest pair being pretty average.
I've also had this reoccurring left/right issue with my shooting for quite a while but it's not something I had when I was younger and didn't wear dentures.
I've always anchored in the corner of my mouth, indexing on my eye tooth.
Or at lest that's what I thought I'd been doing.
Like I said, the latest pair of dentures is not that great and not a copy of my original fangs like the first set was.
So yesterday I was thinking over this left/right thing yet again and got to looking more closely at my anchor and I discovered I was no longer indexing on my eye tooth like I used to because it doesn't really stand that proud of the others like my real teeth did and my first set of dentures also did.
So I started concentrating on indexing on the poor attempt at an eye tooth I have in there now and more or less saw instant improvement.
Coming back inside I watched in the mirror as I tried my new/old anchor and compared it against what had just become a sort of floating corner of the mouth thing and found the correct anchor is giving me 5-10mm of extra draw length depending on weather I anchor in front of or behind the tooth.
So I'll work on keeping my anchor consistent just behind that tooth for a while and if the improvement stays consistent I'll have to modify the tooth with a small bump so I can feel it without having to think about it to much.
Maybe a small Sapphire or something like that.

John.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Stick a wad of gum on that eyetooth, you'll find it :)

Got the same problem, older you get the more your face changes, I use the feather against the side of my nose

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Dental labs make custion teeth all the time, if you had the extra dough, they could remake you a top portion with a pronounced eye tooth. They may even be able to build up the present tooth. Or you could just adjust; you have choices.

Glad you found the issue!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm really sorry John, but I can't stop laughing. As soon as I started reading your original post... I had a mental image of someone shooting and their dentures flying out of their mouth down range.... can hardly type this for laughing .....

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Ok ..I've calmed down now ... carry on .. Sorry John

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I like the idea of a special set of dentures for archery. You could calibrate the bumps for DL and elevation. Eureka,the birth of toothwalking.

Rasyad

Reactions: rusty craine

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
You guys gave an awesome idea. I'll have to offer a set of toothwalking dentures at my clinic from now on with specially sized teeth to allow you to feel the crawl through your lip. If anyone in the Twin Cities area needs dentures and wants to experiment, let me know and I'd be happy to whip up a set. I have my own in-house lab so I can do pretty much whatever one desires.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
You guys gave an awesome idea. I'll have to offer a set of toothwalking dentures at my clinic from now on with specially sized teeth to allow you to feel the crawl through your lip. If anyone in the Twin Cities area needs dentures and wants to experiment, let me know and I'd be happy to whip up a set. I have my own in-house lab so I can do pretty much whatever one desires.
Billy Bob tooth walking dentures! That would be a hoot! :D

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
John, you really want to mess with yourself,,,,,shoot without your teeth, its a whole new world with a dent big enough to feel :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, you really want to mess with yourself,,,,,shoot without your teeth, its a whole new world with a dent big enough to feel :)
Yeah done that.
Had to walk back up the hill an home to get em'.

I'm thinking of cutting a gold button out of an old wedding band to make a positive anchor point on the right tooth.

Should look good an work well I reckon.

Thanks all for the laughs, we try to please 8^)

John.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I find that getting a tooth isn't the easiest for me.

What I do is use a metal backed tab like a Cav Elite. The top of the tab gets put under my cheek as my primary anchor. The string against the front of my cheek sets the DL. My thumb runs along my jaw line to set how far out on my face the tab sits.

It's become the most consistent anchor I've ever used and it lines up extremely quickly.

-Grant

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.