Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Barefaced tightropewalker
8,517 Posts
If a bow was shot without a sling and bounced on the lower limb would there be enough force to cause what's being seen?

· Registered
5,655 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure that's what is happening in this case. The areas of abrasion don't correspond.
ok. I'll ask another question.
do you know the dimensions of the diameter of the flange, and the diam of the undercut. as well as the centre that the undercut stopped at...

I'll see if i can point out my question with a photo as it speaks alot more than a few words.

ill draw a more precise drawing just so that the concept is less arguable

· Banned
548 Posts
ok. I'll ask another question.
do you know the dimensions of the diameter of the flange, and the diam of the undercut. as well as the centre that the undercut stopped at...

I'll see if i can point out my question with a photo as it speaks alot more than a few words.

ill draw a more precise drawing just so that the concept is less arguable
Don't bother. I don't want to argue.

· Registered
5,655 Posts

if you look at this example. the rear wall of the lip of the dovetail is thicker than the edges.

its more clearly seen when you look down the slot.

where the lip, kinda sags on the underside right in the middle.

this happens when you cut the dovetail like you would a T slot.
Dig the channel, then send in the cutter to undercut the sides.

· Registered
5,655 Posts
now, if you don't take the angled under cut cutter to the same centre as the previous slot that you cut, then you end up with a less deep undercut at the back wall.

this gives you this thick back wall.

an example would be that its 1" to the centre of the channel walls, but 15/16" tot he centre of the undercut, you end up with this problem.

This puts the deepest darkest floor wall at the back end of the slot, closer to the channel walls than it should be.

and looking back at the pictures the OP posted. that might explain why the picture looks like it does.

· thumbless stringwalker
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure that's what is happening in this case. The areas of abrasion don't correspond.
This was my concern too but I put some nail polish over this mark and shoot some arrows. No marking on nail polish in that place. It looks like it was an old marring, probably form shooting with too much preload.
JMHO.
I will file top surface flat and chck again after some arrows.
Thanks
Martin

· Banned
548 Posts
This was my concern too but I put some nail polish over this mark and shoot some arrows. No marking on nail polish in that place. It looks like it was an old marring, probably form shooting with too much preload.
JMHO.
I will file top surface flat and chck again after some arrows.
Thanks
Martin
Is there any marring or deformation to the shaft or the dovetail fitting itself?

KPC

· thumbless stringwalker
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Theres no marring I can see no marring on ILF shaft or dovetail other than the one you saw in the pictures.
Thanks
Martin

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.