Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you put a straight edge from the end of each limb pad you see the deflex of your riser.

Pic 1 has 1/2" deflex. Pic 2 has 1&3/4" deflex.

General thought is #2 more forgiving, better shooting manners.

General thought is #1 has more aggressive limb response, does not point as well.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The general thoughts on deflex in risers is formed around recurve limbs. Would they hold water if the limbs were ilf longbow limbs? maybe not?

Why have I got such a thing for longbow limbs on an ilf riser? in two words, hunting bow. These type bows would not be fair competition against a classic long bow IMO but hunting has no equipment rules. Using the same tools Olympic shooters use to tune their arrows makes the ilf longbow limbs very accurate and forgiving.

The thing that longbow limbs offer me is in the draw force curve. Shoulder issues in the first 9" of draw make early preload painful for me to draw. If I can get past the first 9", I am pasted my bone spur and can hold the weight. I have two shoulder issues, bone spurs and tendon ruptured.

This has made me drop my hunting weight to the bare minimum. Dryad's ACS G4 pit a fire behind well tuned 2014s. I can attest it will zip thru and thru 100# pig.

All this is to say if you having shoulder issues, it is worth a try

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Rusty, I have zero experiences with deflex and reflex on traditional bows.
However, I have a ton with fingers on a compound.
Pro Elite vs Ultra Elite
As you have just show, pro 1/2" deflex, ultra 1-1/2" reflex.
Both bow shot very accurate. But each reacted different to the shot.
For me the deflex pushed forward and the reflex twisted. So stabilization was different. Probably because the first had a much higher BH.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that longbow limbs do well on a ilf riser with less deflex. I do my hunting from ground blinds these days. Morrison's 13" Gen 3 alloy ilf riser is perfect for my ACS G4 mediums.

The riser has 7/8" deflex over the 13" and the limb pad angle that gets the ACS to the sweet spot at my draw.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hunter plunger and a stick on flipper let me shoot 70mm Kurly vanes and tune them spot on. Since I shoot with a cheek bone anchor the little sight window is no problem. In fact it is an aiming device.

Yep, I know it is a strange longbow but I am not a longbow shooter, I am a bow hunter :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15 yards from my ground blind stool. It took me a couple of groups to get this group. Ya see that shot in the middle of the loop hanging down over the target face? one shoot try. Focused like it was a pig heart. :)

Arrows are 29.5" 660 carbon ones. From my stool and ground blind anchor, I have to crawl 3/8" to be point on at 15yards. Like shooting fist in a barrel

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to put new Kurly vanes on the three in the target face. one just has two left. One got a flapping vane. So if the arrow angles look a little fuuny, it is the fletch ( or my release) :sbrug:

Does Morrison make a 19" alloy riser?

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
RUSTY, not sure if you were kidding, but yes, Bob makes a 19" aluminum riser.
I had one for a while, and it was pretty good. You'd like it.

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DDD, in Texas (Texas, I luv u ), Feral pigs are not game animals. We can hunt them at night and over bait. I usually hunt over corn feeder. Often at night. As pigs become stressed from hunting pressure (very smart animal) pigs become more nocturnal.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rusty at 15 yards how hard is it to draw the bow without getting busted??

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)
Good question. I use 8" sewer pipes cut to hold a 50# sack of corn. On the feeding end of the tube I put a 45° junction on the pipe. The pig comes up a put his head into to 45° junction to eat. My blind is set so I have a great angle to the heart pocket. While this may not be considered fair chase, my prime goal is recovery. it is all completely legal in Texas.

Texas is trying to get rid of them. I am trying to eat them. :)

It is much easier to get your shot off undetected from a tripod. Mike took the biggest pig I have seen taking by any means from a tree stand 6' off the ground. We just had a corn pile on the ground out about 15 yards. It was a beautiful shot. Heart had a three blade hole right thru the ventricles.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike and I have hunted on a game ranch in south Texas. There you hunt from natural ground blinds. Gerald puts you in your stands the he corns the road. The rattling old pickup is the dinner bell. Your shots are 10 to 20 yards.

Great fun. This is the place we took Sid and Brian. Mike, Jason, John, Brian, Sid, Rusty.... it was a great hunt. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.