Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my definition:

Traditional Archey

Where a bow is drawn and held unaided by any mechanical device using only the digits/fingers of the drawing hand on the string combined with the strength of the body, and where the loose of the string/arrow is accomplished by the digits/fingers of the drawing hand releasing the string.

Finger protection in the form of a glove or tab may be used.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
TradTalk Main Forum
IMPORTANT: In these forums, shooting techniques, target shooting, FITA, stump shooting, bowhunting, and everything else related to traditional archery equipment and shooting are discussed.
If it's got one string and no wheels, it's traditional and we're not going to argue about it.

·
Premium Member
12,111 Posts
Rick.....(groan) haha

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have prefaced this by saying - I'm not looking for an argument. It really doesn't matter to me how others define it. I'm just curious to see how others do define it.

I agree completely with the single string & no wheels analogy, but there are a couple of exceptions to it, one on each side.

Yea, I'm packing to leave, and I'm bored. :)

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe, I'm actually fond of the term, but I think it is because I have a pretty open mind about it, and paint traditional archery with a very wide brush.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
The problem is that some Web sites and People have used the word to separate and form as Elitist Snobs. Most of us here are "Heretics" that shoot one strings.

·
Premium Member
12,111 Posts
Rick,
I just had to laugh, as I read your first post....just based on a lot of past reading on the topic........and I'm ok with pretty much however you want to define it, it will not impact my life very much.
IF I were to define it, and I don't - much -
TO ME - Traditional archery is either a recurve or longbow, and my definition would not include much in the way of clickers and techno-adjustable sights......
My definition would include all the target bows in the realm of recurves & longbow, as well as the shorter risers & limbs, but my mind just does not ENCOMPASS a lot of the Olympic-type of stabilizers and sights & bow stands, etc.
My definition - when I think of Traditional Archery - quickly eliminates compounds & crossbows & quickly zips to ALL recurves & longbows.
Packing to go to a big shoot somewhere?

·
Registered
642 Posts
When asked "what kind of bow do you shoot?",
I say I shoot modern longbows and recurves, I also would say that if it has one string and the weight increases as the draw length increases, it fits into my definition of traditional. I know some would say that full Olympic is far from traditional, but it seems to me that the single string works as a time machine to my 10,000 year old ancestors, the flight of the arrow always makes me feel the same... and I assume that we all love it as much as they did. TRADITIONAL!

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's my definition:

Traditional Archey

Where a bow is drawn and held unaided by any mechanical device using only the digits/fingers of the drawing hand on the string combined with the strength of the body, and where the loose of the string/arrow is accomplished by the digits/fingers of the drawing hand releasing the string.

Finger protection in the form of a glove or tab may be used.
I posted this over at AT also, but I thought I'd copy it here just for fun. And just to be clear, I'm NOT trying to pick on Rick (rhyme!). It's just that a couple of things in the OP jumped out at me and I couldn't resist taking a good-natured shot at them.

Just because I'm a professional nitpicker... :D

It seems to me that shooting a compound with sights is "traditional" by your definition, as long as you're using your fingers and not a mechanical release. Go back and read it again -- it doesn't say you have to hold the bow's full draw weight with your fingers.

It also appears that the one-armed man I saw shooting a recurve by holding a tab in his teeth and using that to draw the bow does NOT meet your definition of "traditional".

Maybe it's time to try again. Or not. This is why I don't bother trying to define "traditional" anymore.

To me, "traditional archery" is sort of like "organic food". (No, really! Hear me out.) The foodies decided to use the word "organic" to describe food that has been grown/raised in a certain way in order to distinguish it from food grown/raised in the conventional way, but it has nothing to do with the actual definition of the word "organic". Well, at some point recurve and longbow shooters decided to call what they do "traditional archery" to distinguish themselves from compound shooters, but it has nothing to do with the actual definition of the word "traditional". It's just a descriptor that somebody chose, and it happened to stick.

Just as there are all kinds of issues with defining exactly what qualifies as "organic food" (I periodically hear reports that some "organic farmers" use more pesticides than many "non-organic farmers", for example), there are also all kinds of issues with defining "traditional archery". One guy says it's all recurves and longbows, another guy says takedowns aren't really traditional, another says anything goes as long as you don't use a sight, another says metal risers aren't traditional, another says carbon arrows aren't traditional, another says carbons are okay as long as they look like wood, and yet another guy says too many people are confusing "primitive" with "traditional". Oh, okay, so now we need to define the descriptor "primitive" as well. It gets kind of ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
yeah. it's an unfortunate term. and peoples description of what it means to them, while valid, most of the time ignores the history of archery.
to me, a hobby is just that, it's not a way of life, another form of religion, or a sacred trust. it's just a pastime i enjoy. and i understand, after 52 years in the industry and 58 years of shooting archery in a lot of forms, that my definition or archery is not like everyone elses. and thats the way it should be.

·
Registered
541 Posts
"Traditional" to me means a longbow or recurve shot without the aid of anything mechanical, (using nothing mechanical to aid in the shot other than the bow and arrow itself).

·
Registered
623 Posts
The only reason to ever care about the label is when you shoot competitively. In that case it's defined by the governing body.

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jd,

if you will re read my definition you will see that not only does it eliminate the use of any mechanical draw/release aid, but it also eliminates any mechanical devices which would lend you leverage in strength to draw the bow. :)

By the way, you can pick on me anytime you want. I can take it, and actually enjoy it. It's all in fun. :p

P.S.
Hey Steve. Yes I am leaving early in the morning to go to the Mid America IBO Trad shoot in Chester TX.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I'm kinda like "7"…For me, no wheels, no sights and it's traditional for me. I'm not hung up on fingers-tabs or gloves. Once ya get on a bit things like arthritis etc find guys using mechanical devices/releases in order to be able to hold on to the string… not to mention Vets who have been disabled…. All are still plenty traditional IMO.

Tom

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom, I agree that there will (has to be) some exceptions to the definition under certain circumstances, and I would not consider anyone needing to use such a device as being any less traditional. Like I said - I paint traditional with a pretty wide brush.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not that I want to divide Tradtalk into groups, but for me, I don't see "olympic style" as traditional. LOL, When I think of traditional, I think of Indians

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not that I want to divide Tradtalk into groups, but for me, I don't see "olympic style" as traditional. LOL, When I think of traditional, I think of Indians
Seriously though, a big difference in an instinctive guy shooting a trad bow and an olympic guy shooting a "recurve" with a 3ft stabilizer

1 - 20 of 56 Posts