Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pic is not very good, as my wife took it rather quickly with her cell phone. It was taken in my back yard. I live in a rural area on a private lake. I regularly feed wild whitetail deer and Canadian geese. This doe is one of my buddies. She came into my yard about four years ago as a first year fawn. She watched me feed the geese from a distance, and I could tell that she was hungry. Perhaps her momma got shot, who knows. Anyway, she got a bit more tame as time went by, and got pretty familiar with me. She is heavy with fawns now. Each year, she comes to see me pretty regularly, year round, and will bring one or two fawns with her in the early spring. You can't tell from the pic, but she is about 10 feet from me. When she sees me, she will come running. I move slowly, and talk softly to her, and she follows me around like a dog.

Today, I thought I saw her run toward the feed trough, so I went to get some corn to feed her. She stood at the trough, and waited on me. As I was walking toward her, I heard a noise behind me, turned around, and it was my buddy nearly in my hip pocket. Close enough for me to have touched her nose. I was looking at the wrong deer! And another one right behind her. Now I had one in front of me and two right behind me following that bucket of corn.

I've been a life long hunter, and have had numerous close encounters with wild game of all species. I guess I'm just that good! LOL! I had a bull elk under my stand close enough to touch. ***** almost in my lap. Another doe close enough to pet, while sitting against a tree with my bow in my lap. Many other encounters too numerous to mention here.

I've just about quit hunting these days, really enjoying just watching the wildlife moreso than planning their immediate demise. Maybe I'm looking toward my own mortality. Don't know, but I see bucks, does, and fawns regularly. It's fun to watch them play. I enjoy watching the geese fly into and out of the lake. Their haunting calls just kind of send a chill up my back. Perhaps I'm thinking of early hunting camps, good friends, and good times.

Most of my buddies that I shared camps with, have passed on. The rest have gotten too old, or their health has failed them. But I have so many memories that will live on in my mind. My hunting career has spanned over 50 years. Lots of game, and lots of good times. That can't be taken away from an old man's mind. Just thought you folks might like to like something different today.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Enjoy what you have, and live your hunts to the fullest. They pass by way too soon.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you enjoy a special connection with that deer. Being able to get outside is big part of bowhunting not just letting the arrow go. It's hard for people to have respect for nature if they have not been exposed to it.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Great story, thanks,

Rasyad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Very moving story John.
I'm at that same sort of place in life with my hunting and my involvement with animals and everything else.
I didn't know how to express it but your words are so true..

Like your friends as well.
To cool !

John.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Good story JOHN, yeh killing is not the whole deal, I agree.
Nice place you have, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts