Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys know I've been playing with some DCA shafts. Kids have a two hour delay so I thought I'd let you know what I came up with.

First let me say DCA's customer service was great they answered all my questions and shipped same day with a tracking number. Transaction was clean and professional from start to finish.

I had been shooting the new 500 spine CXLs which measure 32.5 carbon to carbon. The DCA shafts measure 31 carbon to carbon. Shafts are very consistent to weight greatest variance I found was 3 grains. I don't have a spine tester but in bare shafting I didn't find any WOWs - shafts seem to be very consistent and fairly durable.

Due to their shorter length and larger diameter I had to front load the crap out of them compared to the CXLs. I ended up with 60 more grains up front compared to the CXLs.

For me shooting unknown distances this was a no go. While I like the added FOC the added weight just doesn't work. When your talking light target arrows 60 grains is a bunch.

The slight added diameter over the CXLs just wasn't worth the trade off in weight and cast.

Yes you might catch a couple of more lines but one 5 because you blew your yardage kills those gains fast.

Great shafts and I'd use them indoor in a heart beat but for 3D I'm sticking with the new CXL 150s.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Having dropped my draw weight a lot, I find the same thing. Skinny and light is the only way I can get the trajectory.

It has not helped my unknown distance scores very much. I got three distances that I can judge accurately. 1) pretty close, 2) not too far, 3) long ways. I got three crawls to match those distances. I NEED SPEED. :)

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Which nock bushing are you using? What fletches?

-Grant

·
Registered
623 Posts
With unmarked distances it seems hard to see a situation where diameter will beat speed.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With unmarked distances it seems hard to see a situation where diameter will beat speed.
Just depends on how good you are with yardage. Dewayne shoots one of the highest GPP that I know of and he does pretty well :)

But in my case yes I totally agree with you.

Matt

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey Matt,

What's the OD of the shafts and are they IBO legal? Like Dewayne, I shoot a higher gpp arrow, makes for smaller gaps, and I like a high FOC. I've been thinking about trying a set of these. Do they seem like they are sturdy and can take a little pounding?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Grant

Just used their nocks - If I had liked them I would have gotten beiter nocks for them.

I'm using Razor fletch with a hard helical.

Matt
Is it a press-in or did it use a bushing?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
No room to remove any weight there. I remember they were talking about making their shafts 32", sure would be nice if they did.

As it stands they'd make a killer indoor arrow with a Fatbow g-uni bushing on the back.

-Grant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts