·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I tried the app Mika suggested; it looks good but froze up with adds when I tried to tune with it. Wasn't in the mood to buy an app. So I used the NIOSH free app I found, which wasn't the best but did give some somewhat useful data.

The NIOSH app gives several readings, including max sound level (Lmax) within the recording period. I figured that would be the variable of interest, but it also gives LCpeak, which is apparently the "maximum value reached by the sound pressure."

19" Riser with Medium limbs. Started at 71/2" and recorded after each 4 twists of the string:
93 db Lmax (118 LCpeak) @ 7 1/2"
88.5 db Lmax (108 LCpeak) @ 7.5" + 4 twists
89 db Lmax (112 LCpeak) @ 7.75"
89 db Lmax (109 LCpeak) @ 8"
83 db Lmax (108 LCpeak) @ 8 1/8"
92 db Lmax (118 LCpeak) @ 8 1/8" + 4 twists

At this point it looked like db was heading back up, so I tested 8 1/8" twice more and got:
90/109
91/111

And that discouraged me, so I called it quits and left it at 8 1/8", despite the muddy data.

The muddiness could be me. I'm returning to archery after a 20+ years and re-learning technique. Shot to shot variability (release to release variability) could be the mud. This is my first attempt to tune brace height.

I had my phone in my breast pocket and that seemed to work OK.

BTW, exactly why is the sound of the bow supposed to be lowest at a particular brace height? I'd happily be referred to a printed authority.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
BH is at it best when the dynamic column load on the arrow is straight at string disconnect. A simple lip stick test on the arrow may be a better test. Or look at the frequency of the sound wave.
Great read thread has this information you require.
Dan

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
dunno, that kind of wisdom also says why bareshaft........😁

·
Administrator
911 Posts
Thanks. Conventional wisdom is to wait to put silencers on the string until after tuning brace height. But it actually shouldn't matter, right?
I never heard of that as conventional wisdom and would highly disagree with it. Put everything on your bow and then tune.

Anything on the string will affect your tune. Lighter string silencers, and placement on the string, can affect it less, but there will still be some difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts