Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this video in 3 River's catalog and I am thinking of ordering it.

Have any of you seen this and if so is it any good?

I don't mind spending the $20 if it has good info that will help me with my shooting but I hate to throw $20 away if its not any good.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ray,

I have it and didnt get a whole lot out of it. He uses a very target oriented approach ie:wrist sling, clicker etc. Which was great cause thats right up my alley but for someone with all his credentials I think he could have done more. Alot of the video is covering very basic bow selection etc. I enjoyed listening to discussion of his form etc and the fella can shoot but it certainly wasnt like talking with Len Cardinale :)

If you would like to borrow it I can send it to you to watch/make a copy(vhs) and save you the 20 bucks. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have to agree with Yohon. I won a used copy at a league shoot last winter. Watched it twice and really didn't get much out of it. He has a specialize 3-D style that suits him, but most people would have a hard time coping it. The guy is a really good shot, though.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I liked it. The beginning is a little slow. He shows how to make a quick easy wrist sling and install a clicker. Scott shoots with an upright target style so if that's not your thing you might not like it as much. I think there is some useful stuff on there. Another good one is Rick Welch's instructional tape #2.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had a few guys on Leatherwall recomend the "Ricky Welch Vol II" or Instinctive shooting by Fred Asbell. 3 Rivers also has Ferguson's "Become the Arrow"

Would any of you recomend any of these?

I'm not really looking to be a better target shooter but a better shooter over all. I don't want to have one shooting style for target/3d shooting and then another for hunting. I'm way to simple in the head for that. I just need to learn to be a good solid shooter with a technique that will serve on the 3-D course as well as in the woods. :shooting:

Ray

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I didn't really get anything from Fred's video. I think he is a very good writer in his hunting stories. I think his style is very hard to communicate to someone in writing or video and even harder to master. It works for him obviously, but it would not be on my short list. I've not seem Byron's. There is a video called "shooting instinctively better than ever" or something like that. In it several shooters such as Denny Sturgis, Ron Pitsley and Ron LaClair are interviewed and filmed about how they shoot. That would give someone I think a broad range of styles and tricks to try and find out what works for them. Good video.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
It is mainly a target recurve video but Larry Skinners video is very good. I would recommend it with the book. There is some very good information discussed about achieving a solid bow arm, achieving good bone alignment and proper muscle utilization and back tension. While it's more FITA directed all of those things listed can be applied to barebow and are described better than nearly any video I have seen.

Thanks to Cato and Hank for the tip.

·
X-terminator
659 Posts
If you really want to buy Scott's video, post a wtb on tradgang. Those guys hate it. Someone will give it to you for shipping. Clickers and point of aim shooting are not popular there.

Ricks video is ok, although I don't think Rick really knows how he shoots. Watch the part about his double anchor and tell me what you think. For the really valuable info you have to read between the lines.

He says to "aim until the bow goes off". "Don't consiously think release". Yes, that is the secret to archery right there. Yet, he doesn't explain how to get there. You are going to have to look elsewhere for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have seen most of the instructional videos (although have not seen Larry Skinner's) and feel the majority of them lack in substance. Most of these videos hit on the basics but don't necessarily teach you how to actually perform the basics. I would say the videos basically give an introduction on how to shoot a bow with some variance depending on the shooter's own style.

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
I have seen the video and its ok -- not great. The new Byron Ferguson video is pretty lame. I pretty much stay away from anything by Asbell, I read his first book and feel many of his theories and views aren't correct (although -- some people do and they work for them)

The Ricky Welch videos are good, but he doesn't give enough detail. The real trick behind Ricky Welch is his aiming system -- its like magic, but you have to figure it out. You have to get your sight picture adjusted by anchor point and nock set height so at lets say at 15 yards, it appears the arrow (the entire shaft) is pointed directly at the target. As you back up, the arrow must be raised automatically to again create the illusion that the arrow is pointed directly at your target. (It really points above the target and has to, but the illusion is created that it is pointed at it.)

As Ricky Welch states in I think video #2, he does not calculate yardage what so ever, his sight picture is such that the arrow is always pointed at the target and gets there. (How far you can go out with it, I do not know)

Another cool aspect of this aiming system is that it does not matter how big or small the gap is, there is no guessing, simply line the shaft up with where you want it to go and it gets there.

My advice is to develop a super solid bow arm and find an anchor point that gets the elbow inline with the arrow and feels effortless and repeatable. Aiming is easy, bow control and form is where it is at.

Hank

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with some of the other post. I would say they all lack substance in regards to becoming a good shot. Rick Welch tells what the secret is "your release has to be subconciouse"...OK but that is alot...ALOT easier said than done. You could do an hour long video on just that very subject. I have a video that Len Cardinale did years ago called "secrets of the shot" it is the ONLY one I have seen(I havent seen them all) that tells what to do and how to do it BUT there is no shooting, no glitz just pure fact filled "here is how its done" information. I have given it to a couple of guys and most admit to fallin asleep watching it!!! I think most bowhunters dont recognize good shooting is good shooting and think there is a secret out there just waiting to be discovered. I loved the way Rick Welch says it....."do the same thing time in and time out" :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts