Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long cold winter.
Shot a sparse few arrows lately, first since ? dunno when.
I've been working my way through likes & dislikes these last few 5 years.
Been selling off duplicates and extras, stuff I love but paring the pile down to a short list of KEEPER BOWS.
This morning 34* F. no wind, dead still calm, frost on the pond dam, sunny.
I got out the bag target and shot a bunch.
I started with the longbow, Hummingbird Alpha Male, 51#, 64".....shot woodies....it shot well enough.....just not sure of status on this bow.....need to shoot it more.
I was set up at 15 yards.
I then shot the SKy longbow limbs on the Quinn Stallion warf Sam did for me, it's 19 inches, makes a 64" bow with the Sky 53# longs.. and it honks Lightspeed 500s out there. Yikes. KEEPER BOW. Quiet & smooth, FAST. Yeh those are the limbs that were on the blanket last night. BIG mistake, that. see where I said KEEPER bow......it shoots NICE SAM.
I shot the Ben Pearson Equalizer warf, 17" with Sky Jack 38# longs, and it shot well, it always does, that is a real nice warf. Bowbender Mike does great work too.
Pearson also gets KEEPER BOW status.
I drug out the old scurvey bronze Dalaa, it wears a cool set of David's camo WW Everest Pro 38# shorts, they scale 46# on this riser, and these are the ONLY set of shorts I've had that I don't get into stack with.
The 3 arrows almost touching are absolutely the first 3 I shot with the DAS today, and I just had to show the pic. Yeh I missed the spot, but group is ok for me.
2nd arrow made that noise we all dread....haha. KEEPER BOW.
See also the camo rig by the arrow bucket.....SKy Hunter or RAMBO riser, factory Hoyt camo, with matching limbs that seem more like TD-3 limbs than the typical Hunter Supreme limbs.....but Earl & Ann did put out some funny/odd combos sometimes for customers. KEEPER BOW, waiting patiently for one of Rick Barbee's excellent strings for it. Yeh it was one of those I had on the blanket a few times, sold it once, bought it back, and I've decided it stays here.
I have a couple of other sets of recurve limbs I will probably keep, as well.
I want to shoot a 1 piece longbow, I keep trying them but you guys with these metal riser takedowns have ruined me, I fear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Nice collection Steve. Really surprised you sold me the TAC 19. If you need to borrow it back let me know.

Rasyad

Reactions: stevelong

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice collection Steve. Really surprised you sold me the TAC 19. If you need to borrow it back let me know.

Rasyad
RASYAD, thank you for the offer.
The only thing I would use it for is longbow limbs, and the SQWARF handles that really well.
After I get back into shooting shape, I plan to chrony these rigs.
It won't be a scientific study, but I will post it up anyway, for people to abuse, haha.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I HATE it when you spring clean Steve!! It always costs me money......:thankyou:

Kiddin' ya buddy, getting ready to do a little myself. My rack is pretty much where I want it and I didn't have to make NEAR the amount of decisions you have to!

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Mark, at one time I was crying because the QUINN needed prettied up.
I sent it to jerseyboy and he painted it for me.
I really like the way it turned out.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GUYS, I'll be honest here, you are probably ALL better shots than I am.
ALL my groups yesterday were NOT THAT good.
Typically, my groups are good....but un-remarkable....
I shoot well.....I need to shoot BETTER.
So when I crank out the DAS rig from 3 months of COLD STORAGE and first 3 are like the picture shows......2 inches high but TIGHT......yeh that is satisfying.
That's part of my plan now, I've learned a ton on bow setups and the technical EQUIPMENT part of the equation, from you all, and I thank you.
I have a good BASIC grasp of (some of) it now, although I am not a super-tuner or great shot.
NOW that I feel like I have mastered a few of the BASICS - I want to start shooting what I HAVE (a lot) and buy-sell-trade a whole lot less.
Up to now, I have shot mostly with the force, so I'm pretty confident out to 22 yards, and beyond that, WELL - YOU KNOW.
NOW this year I plan to experiment with learning at least ONE basic aiming system such as GAP? and I plan to hang my SRF sight on my DAS and experiment with that, as well.
And I'll be fletching my own arrows THANKS DAVE HOLQUIST for loaning me your BITz for a month (or 2,3?) - (I now have I think 4 BITz jigs and 8 or 9 clamps, haha) (thanks Bob Littlefield) and probably enough feathers for life? ??
I will be reading some of the AIMING METHODs (archives?) presented here, and probably asking some STOOPID AIMING questions.
It was real hard for me to sell off some of my warf risers and extra limbs sets, but it made sense to me to narrow down my focus to a few bows, eliminating distractions.
I'm pretty simple, haha......2015 I would like to begin making my own strings.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Lots of different areas of this thing called archery to enjoy. Great to have a place like this where we can enable each other! Carry on, my friend! :shooting:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.