Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd noticed one of my two longbows was sounding a bit noisy lately. my other longbow is very quiet. The only difference is that it has a Dacron string. So I made one for the first longbow and wonder of wonders, it's now whisper quiet. So I did the same for one of my recurves and same effect. A lot quieter.

OK that's nice but it will shoot a lot slower. So I set up the chronograph and blew several shots thru it with my recurve using both strings. I was amazed to see there was only about a 4 foot-per-second difference. I ran the specs thru Stu's calculator and the relative difference was about 4 fps there as well. My setup is a 62" 50lb checkmate Hunter I, shooting split fingers off the shelf with 520 grain spruce arrows 27 3/4" long.

So for a sacrifice of 4 FPS I get a quiet bow, and much less chance of damage. Seems like a deal to me.

Now I'm no trajectory expert but 4fps seems like at hunting distances there would be some but not very much trajectory difference. Anyone have any ides what the difference would be? If it's insignificant what's the big deal about fast-flite???

Unless it's significant I'm think I'm gonna stick with dacron

Am I missing something here???

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Dacron stretches over time, ff does not. And the slight speed advantage. The faster the bow, the more of an advantage I would think. I am now looking for a checkmate. Just waiting for a deal u can't pass up. Is your hunter I rated for ff strings? I thought most older bows were not ff safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think you're missing a thing. You made a scientific comparison, noted a minor speed difference and a significant noise reduction. For your tastes, the reduced noise trumps the reduced speed.

Some bows may well just be happiest with Dacron. Older bows made during the Dacron era would have the entirety of their research, design, materials, and felt shooting aesthetic performed in concert with that particular string material. Perhaps the bowyers of that era would have constructed slightly different bows were low-stretch materials available and included within the holistic mix of creating a design and refining its perceived performance.

On the flip side, the opposite experience also lurks. Many bows find less noise, increased speed, and smoother performance with low-stretch strings.

Digitally produced music recordings have finally achieved a wondrous and pristine fidelity. However, the lowly (though expertly produced) vinyl LP can more than hold its own up against modern digital technology for many reasons other than sheer frequency response.

I believe that, for many bows, Dacron offers a bit of what the LP offers for the audio experience. Stats reveal measurable contrasts, but we're not shooting a stat - we're shooting a bow and, as such, there's nothing wrong with deferring to one's attraction to the equipment that poses the most charm.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Shoot both strings at 30 or 40 yards and see if there is a difference in cast. Let us know what you find.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I read B55 is a new and improved version of B50 that is lower stretch and more abrasion resistant. I've got a Bear Grizzly that only takes Dacron strings and I am considering getting some B55 to see if that makes a difference compared to the old B50 stuff.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dacron stretches over time, ff does not. And the slight speed advantage. The faster the bow, the more of an advantage I would think. I am now looking for a checkmate. Just waiting for a deal u can't pass up. Is your hunter I rated for ff strings? I thought most older bows were not ff safe.
I've got 3 checkmates. All are rated for fastflite. In fact I've seen Marc deliberately dry fire one of his recurves several times in a row with no ill effect. His philosophy was if it can't take that it's not good enuf to sell. If the limb tips are micarta they are good for fast flite.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I straight-up won't shoot anything that requires B50 these days. In my experience a FF string which is louder and only gains 4fps on B50 is either overbuilt or poorly built.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't shoot Dacron anymore because I prefer the crisper feel of the different FF types.
I became an instant convert after the very first time trying a FF string after years of shooting B50
If you make your own strings you can get a bit more than 4 fps and skinnier sharp strings are more forgiving than soft sluggish strings when it comes to getting off the string.
On a 80 yard IFFI target your going to want every edge you can get.
I mean at 80 yards you can see it diving more for every foot of bow speed you don't have, so any extra for free is ok by me..

If my bow blows up I'll buy another one an do the same thing again.

It's mainly about the feel man.
John.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For modeling purposes, let's say your bow shoots 170 fps with dacron and the arrow is doing 130 fps at 20 yards.
An arrow, shot horizointally, would drop 30.72 inches.

With an ff string, does 174 - 134 fps

Arrow would drop 29.15 inches

Difference, a mere 1.6 inches at 20 yards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.