Trad Talk Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,319 Posts
Cfree2000 "Hey so I shoot a longbow and I was wondering would it be practical or useful to use a d loop and a release on traditional bows "
absolutely you might find it a cool thing.....practical nd useful.....and it doesn't matter what WE THINK.
it's how you feel when you use it & DOES IT WORK OUT for you.
give a release a try with or without D loop. it will not make or break your budget.

Reactions: workaholic

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Cfree2000,

Here's the rig I'm hunting with this year. It's a Gillo GT 19" riser w/40# Gobi shorts. I have to hook the release with a 1.5" crawl to put the sight pins in the window. Darn thing is deadly poison and the reasons why I'm shooting this outfit doesn't matter.

Why don't I just shoot a compound? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO !!!!!!!

:)

Wood Bicycle handlebar Door Metal Wire

Reactions: workaholic

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol, ya'll can pick at me all you want but I do think, and no one has to agree with me, that there exists a large and very visible line between what his traditional and what is technical. I've got compounds and I shoot them, particularly from ground blinds, using sights, whisker biscuit and one of any number of mechanical releases. And I've got a crossbow that I really don't care for. On the other side of the spectrum I shoot recurves and I've had several longbows, all of which I shoot with a glove. The 'thing' about shooting trad is to do it without any aids...stick and string, hands and eyes and off of the shelf.

·
Premium Member
14,319 Posts
glad you seem to have a sense of humor & not totally sensitive. We pick at you because you picked at us first. it's a great trade!!!
shoot what you want, right? it's the only right way to have it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
To the original post. When my middle release finger popped out of the socket while doing my warm up draws with a 96 pound longbow. I hauled out my mechanical release and tried it with my lighter right hand longbow, I did not like it. I went to left hand longbows, not a big deal for me, i always could shoot with either hand. As my finger healed, it took years, I could shoot some shots right handed again. JD Berry sent me a duo shooter, those poor bunnies and deer. I almost didn't seem fair. I have added a duo shooter Sunset Hill. I can shoot slightly tighter groups with the Morningstar, but I am a bit smoother on quick small game shots shooting right handed with either duo shooter, so those two bows are my go to hunting bows. My point to the original poster, I would suggest, unless you have some physical issue pick a longbow, shoot high grade wood arrows, pick a method and pick a high grade shooting glove like an American Leathers, add a bit of powder to the fingers if you need a smoother release. Then follow John Schulz advice to the word, start out slow. I used to say that a 45 pound longbow drawn to 26" will kill any deer in the country, with the right arrow and broad head the same can be done with a 37 pound longbow.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Those rascals! Didn't they realize they were deligitimizing the sport?

:mad:
Yeah those pesky Carthaginians stopping the Romans using release aids at the siege of Carthage

·
Registered
599 Posts
Somebody at the shop last night handed me a hinge release and challenged me to shoot one of my bows with it. I had trouble getting it to fire at first beceasu there was no back wall to pull into, but once I started relaxing my index finger to fire it worked fine. Groups at 10 and 20 yards (indoor) were acceptable for first try with it. I had to shoot a huge gap because without a D loop I had to anchor under my jaw. Arrows were kicking a little left, but I think I could adjust the plunger to get that sorted out if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Did you have a loop on the string? With a loop, you should be able to put the back of your hand up on the side of your face and decrease that gap.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Did you have a loop on the string? With a loop, you should be able to put the back of your hand up on the side of your face and decrease that gap.
Not going to change my indoor setup in the middle of the season. One of the guys just challenged me because he had never seen it done. May put a sight on it and shoot hunter class in a couple 3ds like that in the spring though...

·
Premium Member
21,757 Posts
The closer to CS you adjust, the less deflection matters.
Closer to CS with fingers, the more a clean release matters.
Try a release on a Bow cut outboard of CS, likely will shoot left.
A D-loop takes the wear and tear off the Center serving and also reduces torque.
Get a Bow cut past CS and install a good rest that is adjustable horizontally and you can adjust horizontal POI using a release aid.
Put a Pin sight on it and kisser button and you can really pinwheel.✅

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you hunt in a way that allows or limits you to one very careful static shot, setting a bow up with a bow sight, a very open peep sight (they tend to cut your visual if too small in low light conditions), the D loop with the release will save on serving, but like was said can provide a very accurate static shot. Before mechanicals came out I used a Wilson Strap Tab on a target rigged hunting bow. When I injured my release finger, I went to my one caliper mechanical release and did the same set up on a 64" Bear take down, it worked, but that click of the release annoyed me so I went left handed.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I tried it.For me you deffinitly have to be locked in and braced,ready for that quick release.
I have only tried a wrist index trigger release and not a fan but the day my finger strength is gone it will be an option.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts