Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If money was no object, what's the sexiest custom wooden recurve you could buy? I've seen Wengerd, Stryker.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Guess it depends what you find "sexy."

Personally I like 50s style bows with attractive wood and no ornamentation.

But if high end fancy bows are your thing I would also look at Blacktail.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had most of the high end bows. Lots of good ones out there but I just cannot shoot the Blacktail Sitka without bow hand pain. It's the grip. What they call medium I call high. I can shoot it well but it really starts to hurt after eighteen or twenty shots. I've settled on Schafer Silvertip recurves as my favorite. I like them in dark woods, with a stripe instead of a flair, stained quilted maple limb veneer, with a horn overlay on the riser and either horn or antler tip overlays. I also kept a beautiful Whippen Stick Phoenix. It is not only beautiful but it seems to be the fastest bow on the rack.

·
Premium Member
12,642 Posts
what is this thing of wood of which you speak?
ok I have not totally lost track of wood bows, but it's close.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
+1 on the Timberpoint

·
Registered
167 Posts
If money was no object, what's the sexiest custom wooden recurve you could buy? I've seen Wengerd, Stryker.
I love Dan Toelke bows for their simple lines and silence. I love the Blacktails for their ornate beauty, intricate attention to detail and tight tolerances. I love Black Widows for their Tank-Like qualities and they have some pretty cool lines too IMO. I've been looking at Bob Lee, Schafer Stickbows, etc. etc. Unfortunately, money is an object and I can't keep them all and stay married =)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was at the “Woodworkers Source” today, a store that sells exotic lumber in our area. I saw a number of planks that I would love to have a riser made from.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like Blacktails, but hate their grip. I think I'd go for a black and white ebony Timberpoint. Another plus is that it would probably politically incorrect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Habu's are pretty sweet too.

Bowmania

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Saluki 48# which is a center shot and a Stryker 2000 50#, they both magnificently, but my favorite has to be the Saluki. Last I heard there was a one year waiting list. I bought mine almost 10 years ago for around $350 not sure how much they are now; but they are one sweet shooting bow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts