Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I changed to a low anchor (index finger on chin, "C" mandible, string on tip of nose and lips) I am really happy with the anchor but started to feel a lack of connection with the grip and that I really had to concentrate to maintain consistent grip location and vertical pressure.

I have never found a grip that would work for me and have been shooting off a bare riser for years. I have tried every grip out there but my hands are simply too small and too thick. I have tried best style grips and have modified them to no good end. I recently tried Jager's Best 2 grip with the same general feeling of insecurity and of the bow sliding out of my hand.

Something Rusty said the other day stuck in my mind. "high anchor, low grip, low anchor, high grip" I had been really locked into my grip with my higher anchor, maybe I needed a narrow, high grip, with a best style angle for the palm pad.

So out came the tools.......table saw and chop saw and a bit of Walnut. First I tried straight wedges of different sizes and found a good wrist angle. Then inspired by the best grip I added a 10 degree angle relief for the palm pad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Prototyping fit with double sided tape.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The strapping tape provided a secure connection....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All taped up for testing....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great feel from the prototype so out come more tools and some 1/16th Black G10 sheet. My plan was to build flat sides, epoxy to the wedge and cover with Carbon Fiber and epoxy resin.

To start I used some paper and traced the leading edge from each side of the factory grip. FYI, most risers are asymmetrical in the grip area right to left. Usually, for a right hand bow, the right side grip panel will be lower to make room for the radius above the thumb.

I then transferred the curves to the G10 for cutting and fitting on the riser and added extra material to each panel to cover the sides of the wedge. Once the side plates fit properly to the riser I drilled and mounted the plates with screws. My plan was to use the riser as a fixture and so used a bit of blue tape (between the wedge and riser) to keep the epoxy from bonding to the riser. (Mold release on the riser would also work)

Here is the transfer of the grip panel shape to the G10.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the G10 side panels bonded to the wedge I had a functional grip and had it on and off the bow several times adjusting the upper shape of the side pates.

Working with wet layup can be messy and fussy getting everything just so and I was not able to take pictures during the process. I used West System epoxy. (105 resin and 205 hardener) and 5.7 oz. carbon fiber cloth.

First I reinforced the fine tapered top edge of the wedge with an inch of carbon folded over the edge. Once this reinforcement was secure I fixtured the grip so I could drape the carbon over the wedge and down the outside of both side plates.

205 has a pretty fast set up time so I simply used my latex covered hands to smooth the cloth until it setup and stayed still (about 30 minutes). A couple hours later I was able to cut off the excess material with scissors. At this point the part is dry to the touch but still somewhat flexible, cutting is easy.

Final trimming and sanding was done the next day when the part got hard.

Here are the results....

Attachments

Reactions: kakend

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
view of the inside....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mounted to bow left...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Closed hand showing fit...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Open hand, some pressure on the bow string.

Rasyad

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.