Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are some of you out there that own an older Wes Wallace bow. Does anyone know what type of finish Wes used on his bows in 1997?:sbrug: I know Wes will refinish the bow for me, but due to finances, I need to refinish it myself rather than sending it back to him.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I'm sure there are some of you out there that own an older Wes Wallace bow. Does anyone know what type of finish Wes used on his bows in 1997?:sbrug: I know Wes will refinish the bow for me, but due to finances, I need to refinish it myself rather than sending it back to him.

Thanks for any insight.
I just Talked to Wes on the phone. They were using a sprayed on conversion varnish back then. He recommended that you go to Sherwin Williams and ask for their conversion varnish. All paint companies have their own version. I've used Defthane polyurethane (comes in spray can) in the past, which is what Jim Brackenbury and Wes used to use. It's a little softer and like all polys tends to yellow.

He says he'll refinish it for a hundred bucks you pay shipping.

Good luck. Here's his number if you want to talk to him. (503) 632-7365

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Conversion varnish is tough stuff but I was told it needed to be sprayed on for best results. I would inquire first, stuff is not cheap. If I was going to use poly I would do some research as I heard, not seen, the new water based stuff does not yellow as much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts