Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to searching around for some of the custom bowyers I could remember were around back when I was shooting everyday and shooting 3D shoots and target archery .
I can’t believe the prices they are asking for them .
I can believe Black Widow bow prices, they’ve always been a leader in prices .
Nice bows , but over priced . IMO
I’ve owned several custom bows in the past . If my memory serves me correctly, most of them were disappointments Even at what I paid back then .
Makes the Hoyt and other ILF Risers and the number of limbs available a lot more attractive.
Even the Korean made bows .
The two Samicks I’ve bought this past week , even though they have flaws , they still serve my purpose.
I’ve always thought it was more about the Indian than it was the bow anyway .
Guess I’m finished with my rant .
JMHO
I guess my days of owning a custom bow are behind me .
PS : if this it out of line , please let me know and I’ll delete it .
:2cents:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
As it is with custom knives vs factory knives, a lot of comes down to the artistry / exotic material and the customizing than significantly superior performance.

Technology has generally filtered down that the factory standard archery equipment is very good and prices range from inexpensive to high end, with commensurate performance.

At the end of the day, it's a great time to have so much choice and price ranges!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As it is with custom knives vs factory knives, a lot of comes down to the artistry / exotic material and the customizing than significantly superior performance.

Technology has generally filtered down that the factory standard archery equipment is very good and prices range from inexpensive to high end, with commensurate performance.

At the end of the day, it's a great time to have so much choice and price ranges!
I agree , but a basic , so called , custom bow made out of dyed laminated maple , without anything special , shouldn't cost $1000+ .
I used to know a guy who built custom longbows . Once he got his jig setup , it was just a process of gluing laminates together. Most of his hands on time was in finishing .

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
We all want to get paid for our work and thankfully there are many production oriented choices that perform as well as many customs which leaves people free to patronize who they want and make the decision ....is it worth it ?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,664 Posts
The problem is that you have to earn a reasonable hourly wage for what you do. That means you have to add a lot of value in so you can sell for more. Taylor Guitar showed that you can make a high end instruments for a mid level price point using CNC, and drove the rest of the market to follow. Bows are probably simpler than acoustic guitars. I don't see how mass produced with CNC doesn't beat custom. A company that sells more bows has more money to invest in research and development. In the end, I don't see how you are going to beat the higher end productions bows in the same price range as many of the customs. You also have more risk with the customs. You wait a long time and are not even assured of the bow coming in at the correct weight. I think the market is over saturated. There are far too many custom bowyers splitting up the market, which holds back the engineering and research needed to develop novel new products.

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Good grief! Nobody builds custom bows to get rich. They do it for love. If you are satisfied with a cheap factory made bow from Asia, go for it. But if you have an emotional feeling for the most ancient art and the men who carry it on, you have a duty to give them some support. Some of you bozos are a disgrace to our fine sport. You need to rethink your attitudes. - lbg

Reactions: Steve

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,664 Posts
Wow LBG. Some folks see bows as tools rather than romanticizing them. We're not all trying to be the arrow. I don't have an emotional feeling for my bow, or my climbing rope, or my backpack, or my bicycle, or my guitars, or my kayak paddle. Wait, I don't have a kayak paddle yet. I guess I'm a disgrace to all archers, climbers, backpackers, cyclists, guitar players and paddlers. It still doesn't mean that the market is not over saturated. That's just elementary business. That does not mean that folks should not buy custom bows if that is what they want. It just means not to expect that they are going to be better just because they are called custom. Taylor Guitar showed how you can pay a lot more and end up getting either less, or something no better.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
The higher performance wood recurve risers are being made in Oregon for a very reasonable price (Rossing). They cost about the same as a similar mass production aluminum riser.
So I'd say that yes, a lot of it is profiteering.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good grief! Nobody builds custom bows to get rich. They do it for love. If you are satisfied with a cheap factory made bow from Asia, go for it. But if you have an emotional feeling for the most ancient art and the men who carry it on, you have a duty to give them some support. Some of you bozos are a disgrace to our fine sport. You need to rethink your attitudes. - lbg
Ancient art ? Are we talking about the same sport . Ever since the first Bear bow used fiberglass to face and back the limbs , the sport became modernized .

A custom bow IMO is a bow made of exotic materials . With a handle glued up of different woods . Maybe with inlays or carved .
A plain bow made of dyed laminated maple , what is sometimes called Actionwood , is not a custom bow and is not worth $1000 .
A friend of mine asked a representative of Black Widow bows why they were so expensive, and was told they price them according to demand . He said they wanted to build a certain number of bows per year and price them accordingly. BTW , some of BW bows I do consider to be custom bows , some are just , as you call them , factory bows .
Bozo ? No need for name calling . I take offense to that , and think you owe me an apology.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered an Omega and am not sure how he builds them at a price to compete with the imported mass produced bows. I don't have it in my hands yet, but based on reviews it should be fine bow. I am glad to pay a little more to support someone who is an enthusiast in the sport.
I checked out their website . I have to say , for what they building , those are some reasonable priced longbows .
I would have to shoot one to give a full evaluation.

·
Premium Member
12,642 Posts
OMEGA = good stuff.
I've had a couple, an Imperial, and a Native.
I could have another......not a bad idea. I like shorty bows, like his Native.

Reactions: Kegan M.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMEGA = good stuff.
I've had a couple, an Imperial, and a Native.
I could have another......not a bad idea. I like shorty bows, like his Native.
I was checking out that Native . Looks like it'd be a fun bow . Good bow for a ground blind if I did decide to give hunting another try .

I see my post has been productive , not bad for a Bozo :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
rossing bows top notch. i have one and another on order.
longbow guy really =bozos!!! and your a super mod.=from the land of fruits and nuts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Kegans(Omega) whole deal is around affordability, function and quality. He doesn't do inlays and veneers nor a variety of exotic woods. His custom options are pretty simple(and probably getting simpler) but he will shape a handle to suit for $50 more.

I dont think any one can really get custom prices lower than him unless they arent actually making a living from it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im going to halfway come to longbow guys defense.

I think he was more bothered by the rant the custom bows were over priced than that people choose production bows.
I don't care what his beef was with . It shouldn't have resulted into name calling .
I'm no rookie to Traditional archery . I've just been out of it for awhile and was shocked by what Most custom bowyers are asking for their single laminate riser bows?

·
Registered
384 Posts
One of the things I like about some custom makers, whether it's bows, bike frames, knives, furniture, whatever, is that the maker usually has some parts of the design or process that they took a deep dive on and are really proud of. Hearing those bits and pieces from a craftsman, especially when they're unabashedly enthusiastic about it, can be really fun on its own. Hell, look what happens when someone gets Sid spun up on the finer details of the Hex limb design. His passion for what he's doing is unmistakable. It's hard to put a value on, but having something made by someone who really cares about making it is worthwhile.

Plus, $1000 isn't nearly what it used to be. I'm only 33 and well aware of this, so I'd expect it's even more notable for the older crowd.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts