Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been mucking about with so called 'instinctive' shooting for a few weeks, really enjoying the challenge.

But I read somewhere that it's very important to be using your dominant eye for this type of shooting.

I shoot right handed but am left eye dominant. When I shot with a sight (or aim with the arrow in string walking) I have trained myself to use my right eye.

However, if I point at something with my finger, or put a camera viewfinder to my eye, I can tell I am definitely still left eyed.

What do you think? Is this going to slow my progress shooting 'Instinctively'?

Should I get a left handed bow? :S

· Registered
6,458 Posts
You will hear both sides, and everybody knows somebody that had no problem shooting cross eye dominate. I am right handed, left eye dominate. I started shooting right handed compounds over 30yrs ago, and had no trouble at all. Then I bought a longbow and tried just looking and shooting like what many call instinctive. I shot well, better then many in my league. However now and again I had a flyer that I couldn't explain. I tried a left handed bow and I won't lie, totally awkward. The first shot I couldn't even let the string to and had to let down. The first few shots sounded like I was dry firing the bow, due to horrible form and poor release. Dang if I wasn't as accurate at 10yds right from the start as I ever had been shooting right hand. I bought an ILF and low poundage limbs and the rest is history. It's been 3yrs now roughly and I have abandone instinctive mostly and use gap now. No doubt I could just close my left eye and gap right handed, but I only own lefty bows now. Plus the older I get, the worse my eyes get. I see no reason to aim with my non dominate eye. It's your dominate one, cause it has the best vision. Also my eyes are close and I can concentrate and pass any eye dominance test with either eye. I think this is why I did ok shooting right handed, cause I was able to mostly focus with my right eye. Good luck.

· Registered
7,401 Posts
Micro, IF you can squint your left eye you can force dominance to the right eye and be just fine. I've been shooting cross-dominant for about sixty years and don't view it as a problem.

As for the "Instinctive shooting, well, that's kind of a matter of personal definition IMO. I'd offer that, though subconsciously, your brain-eye relationship is making definite judgements as to what "works" and what doesn't… and that's just fine. I would add that "snap shooting" in not the same as "instinctive shooting", so take a little time to allow both a clear focus on your intended point of impact AND allow your brain a moment to make it's decision… All the best!

Tom

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Not sure what your definition of instinctive is but if you are truly not using the arrow as a reference then tune your bow to shoot where you are looking and you should not have a problem."

Well I'm trying not to, but I would say it is subconscious gapping / split vision in reality

· Registered
607 Posts
That is kinda what I do. I am also cross-dominant and tune my bow up close 5 yards to hit where my eyes are looking then at the farther yardage I look at the spot I want to hit and I am aware of the arrow in regards to elevation and adjust my shot for that but my focus is on the spot I want to hit.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason I started thinking about this is because I saw something about the English rugby team covering up their dominant eyes with patches and training with their weak eyes, apparently several of them struggled with even simple throws / catches and so on.

People are always comparing 'instinctive' shooting to throwing a ball so...

· Registered
49 Posts
I absolutely need both eyes open. I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed but I have shot right handed and got used to it fairly quickly. Shooting instinctive involves seeing the target (more than the arrow) so even shooting off hand your body should make the adjustment after some practice.

· Registered
6,458 Posts
I'll just pose a question to those who shoot cross eye dominate.....
Have you tried shooting the other hand and given it an honest go? If not, then you can't be certain you wouldn't be better then you are now. Like I said, I have been there and there is a reason I didn't go back. I went from top 5 at league to top 2/3. Maybe that isn't much to you guys, but I'm going to do what it takes to be the best I can be.

· Registered
25 Posts
Up until a month ago I shot left handed with a dominant right eye. Started shooting right handed and it took awhile to get used to but my groups are better now. If I miss it's over or under. Never a wild one off to the right. Happened more than a few times shooting lefty.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

· Registered
411 Posts
Microphonic, I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. I have been shooting traditional for less than 2 years. Last year, I shot instincitve. I had a tendency to shoot high left. This year, I have changed. I have a better shot sequence due to Rod Jenkins. With Rod's help on my shot sequence, and something I learned from Rick Welch, I have solved the problem. I anchor high; with a bent thumb and the first bend in my thumb, near the thumb nail, anchored in my ear. This is the way Rick shoots. When I get to full draw, I settle in, then close my left eye. With my hight anchor, my dominant right eye is looking right down the arrow. I line up where I want to hit, which is not a gap because my point is right on the target due to my high anchor. Then, I open my left eye, hold the bow still where the arrow was pointing when I shut my left eye, and use "instinctive." By that I mean, I just concentrate on where I want the arrow to go, and complete my shot sequence. Of course, as a newbie, that doesn't mean that I can always hit where I want. But, the problems with being left eye dominant have disappeared.

· Registered
246 Posts
I am left handed and right eye dominant. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with an arrow or firearm. I switched to right handed and have zero issues. I now point at what i see, and hit what I point at. It was instantaneous, too. It only took a day or two to get used to shooting right handed.

· Super Moderator
3,011 Posts
Many greats of our sport were cross-eye dominant: Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Glenn St Charles. I suspect it may be an advantage once the early difficulties are overcome, at least for some. - lbg

· Registered
1 Posts
Right-handed, left eye-dominant. I need to close my left eye when aiming (so that breaks the "instinctive" definition for some) and cant the bow to better align my right eye above the arrow line. I also anchor pretty far near my ear. Works for me.

· Premium Member
473 Posts
I'm left-handed and right-eye dominant. I shoot lefty and close my right-eye once I've drawn the bow. Since I started closing my eye my accuracy has I've improved a lot. It seems to work for Larry Yien :) (okay I'm no Larry Yien but I've tried shooting right-handed and I just don't like it!).

Regards, James.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.