Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tied up a Scottish monster, The Covert Hunter HEX 7 H super recurve. I have never had concerns stringing a bow till tonight. These massive recurve tips are intimidating to string. The thought of doing it without a stringer make me shudder. Definitely this bow must be strung with a saddle type stringer.

Now for some first impressions. As expected the workmanship on the bow is impeccable. A flaw of any kind can not be found. It is without question flawless.

Now the limbs. WOW. I didn't do a lot of shooting as time is limited tonight, but this bow has a draw that just screams speed. Early draw weight is definitely abundant , and this means performance on every limb I have shot that has early weight. I did a partial draw down to get an idea of what was going on and at 20" the scale said 41#, and at 28" it read 50.6#.Hmmmm this looks impressive, but not nearly as seeing 51.3# at 29".I won't turn on the chrono until it is tuned proper, silenced and I find a good arrow combination , but I do know this bow is going to turn up some big numbers.The grip is great, and it feels so nice after the shot.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
yeah I have found the same...I use their stringer and its the easiest bow I have ever strung...they just look intimidating but really you don't need to lift them to far to get the string on.

Now get on with the tuning and testing already....and BTW,,,,you don't actually have one until there are PICS.....jer

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
What Jer said; the camera is our friend. ;-)

Also, does anyone have a pic of that Border stringer? thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't actually believe I have one, but I don't care because I know I do LOL. The stringer Sid sent does work good , although I have to admit is has been a long time since I used a stringer. I normally push pull everything but the horse bows. No way I would think of that with this one.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Sounds to me like you may want to start out with an arrow spine value that's a notch or two stiffer than typical for that weight.

and congrats but...no pix?

means it never happened. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
You can always use a long nylon strap. I string my Saluki with one. Got loop tied in each end. Sit down put the strap around your back. Left side of strap goes over right limb, right side of strap goes over left limb. Run string thru loops. Push with sock feet and lean back. Hook string over nocks.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Thanks for the review Pete
Along with JP's excellent reviews there seems like a strong consensus growing that the Hex 7's are something a bit special.
Keep us posted Pete.

Reactions: JParanee

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Pete,

What length is this bow from tip to tip when it is strung, and how far back can you draw it before it stacks (if it stacks)?

Thanks
stack is not a sign of stress... it does not indicate proximity to failure.
stack is simply a geomteric issue that can be fixed.
you will have a broken bow before you got 3lbs to the Inch out of this.
infact you would have voided all aftercare support if you found 2lbs per inch.

we demonstrated a 62" bow infront of some visitors yesterday. a [email protected] 17" handle covert hunter pulled 0.6lbs from 27" to 28"

the 62 goes to 30"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.