Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
When you get chance some more pictures would be good.

Did you resist temptation this time for the negative like with the Black Douglas?

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I'm excited for ya :)

I know mine has become my favorite bow

Even @ 36 #'s it will throw like a bow that is 45 #'s :)

Looking forward to more impressions

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I'm just looking forward to more PICTURES!!!!

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
I like the look of the weave showing thru for the lettering. What kind of finish is that? Looks somewhat textured, perfect for hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Congradulations on your new bow. We look forward to pictures and your shooting report.

Rasyad

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, its bucketing down here, I swear there are Dolphins swimming around the house. The first two pics show the height difference. Right one is Black Douglas, 62" with Hex6 BB2, Braced at 6.75". Left is Covert Hunter (obviously) 62" braced at 6.5". All pics shot inside with lights on because its like night here at 10am.

So 9cm difference, 3 1/2 inches. Might not look huge but in the hand it is.

Next one is

Custom cut window at 93mm which is the same as the Black Douglas. There is no reference to Black Douglas in the Covert Hunter name now.
More to follow if the weather improves.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congrats on the new bow. I am sure the bow doesn't care if it gets wet........get out and shoot :)

Looking forward to your review

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice - did you shoot the course with it yesterday?
I still got 4 years before I can get my hands on my pension money ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice - did you shoot the course with it yesterday?
I still got 4 years before I can get my hands on my pension money ;-)
No I didn't. Had to get home before the wife ( you know what I mean Berny! ). I've only one bow to hide. Wife won't notice. I can even get it in the bow bag when it is strung. Can't even get on my course as the Forestry have now started work and were are banned during the week.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Congrats on the new bow. It looks nice.

That is quite a marked difference in actual strung bow height for the same AMO length.

It would be interesting to see overlayed pictures of them both at exact same full draw to see what the string angles are like at anchor.

If a bow 3.5" physically shorter than its stablemate can achieve the same string angles as its physically longer brethren then that is quite a good result.

Obviously conventional wisdom would have it that shorter bows equate to more acute string angles. But that depends somewhat on bow design and is more applicable to conventional bows. Hex6 and Hex7 are becoming strangers to convention.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Congrats on the new bow. It looks nice.

That is quite a marked difference in actual strung bow height for the same AMO length.

It would be interesting to see overlayed pictures of them both at exact same full draw to see what the string angles are like at anchor.

If a bow 3.5" physically shorter than its stablemate can achieve the same string angles as its physically longer brethren then that is quite a good result.

Obviously conventional wisdom would have it that shorter bows equate to more acute string angles. But that depends somewhat on bow design and is more applicable to conventional bows. Hex6 and Hex7 are becoming strangers to convention.
If you map the bow length per inch drawn, you will see that all longbows shrink in length as the bow is pulled.

Most recurves (conventional ones) have a 1/4-1/8" gain in length in the first inch or so.
This limb gains in length as the recurves stand up. but the bow doesnt really shrink much at full draw.
bit like the Ghillie dhu its almost a square working draw.
the bow is almost the same length at frull draw as it is at BH.

so here are some stats ive just taken off a 66" bow, 23" riser on meduim limbs.

the bow is 66" nock to nock.
at BH the bows length is 59.25"
at 23" its 58.5"
at 24" its 58"
at 28" its 57"

so string angles are preserved at full draw.

A Griffon Longbow. 66" long has the following specs.
66" Nock to Nock
64" Braced
59.5" at 23"
59" at 24"
and 57" at 28"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts