Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was home from work about 2:30 box was on the porch,when I saw where it came from it was like early Christmas.
Specs on Bow 62" 56#@28" 19" Riser Med Limbs. Bow and limbs are beautiful,the hooks on those limbs I could go bass fishing with.You have seen the vids and post from JParanee and others.First I want to say I, like alot of others here have shot my share of different bows for over 52years.Here is what I think so far.
1.This Bow balances perfect In my hand the std grip feels like it was made for me,on all my bows Ive had to put rubber grips on because they felt like they were moveing around to much for a consistant grip.Every time I grabed this bow my hand went to the same spot.
2.Most of my Bows are 54# to 67# pulling back this bow was so smooth,and when I focused on my spot to shoot it felt easier to achieve my back tension and follow thru.
3.I set this bow up with one brass nock and one tie on nock,just so I could hurry and shoot it.LOL velcro side plate Velcro rest with a sliver of leather about 3\4 of the thickness of a match,inline where you're hand touches the grip or where you check Brace ht from.That has worked on alot of my bows in the past.
4.Put some small cat wiskers 1/3 on top and bottom limb where string starts to touch limb.
Arrows are GT 5575 pro hunters black 29 1/2" from insert to bottom of nocks,6 1/2" wraps 3- 4" shield cut feathers,145gn tips and Easton 3D Super Nocks.
5.1st shot 10yds WOW very smooth and balanced before during and especially after the shot.Backed up to 20 25 30yds again Wow these arrows were set up and tuned bare shaft for a 56#A&H ACS 3pc LB
I had two new bare shafts that were I used for the LB,same arrow as above.Both arrows 1 inch above and 1/2" to 1" to right of fletched arrows.
How lucky can you get,I will continue to fine tune and bare shaft out futher.
I also used a 3 Rivers Dura Glove
6.One of my club members called when I was setting up the Covert and said that himself and another member were heading to the club to shoot,so I met them there to keep this short,I will tell you they shoot Compounds and I agreed to shoot from there stakes,not only is it fun but it puts pressure to perform,and I believe in praticeing longer shots,it helps me focus on form and every aspect of my shot sequence.
Because of my work and getting up at 3:30 am I could only shoot around 20 targets,but I held my own,when I left the scores were pretty close,I have done this with my longbow,and I want to say I'm not bragging,it just felt good to keep pace with them.
I was so impressed with the Bow,and not because of what I paid for this bow.
Border has put alot of research over the years,always striveing to make something better all the time.
There are alot of great boyers out there and alot of great bows,you all know there is no one bow for everyone.
7.Only one drawback,when I tied on my bottom nock set the serving separated,I will put some crown serving on and get two new strings and keep this one for a back up.
And none of my cases are wide enough for the Covert,I would like to find a case hard or soft so I won't have to kep breaking the bow down.

I will try and get some pics ASAP
I Will buy another Covert

Thanks Terry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your new bow, I hope you like it as much as I do mine. I received my covert today and all I can say is wow. These bows really are going to be game changers. They are lookers, they perform exceptional but what I really think the best thing about these bows is how easy they are to shoot. I was drilling my spot from the get go out to around 22 yds and I don't even have a perfect arrow tune yet. The only thing I can critique on this bow is the string, I don't like it much.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Everyone that gets these bows in their hands is blown away

See I told ya all that these bows are Rey different

I have one CH Riser and two sets of limbs and I just ordered another CH riser

Thanks for the review

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I too am not impressed with the strings that come with the border stuff and I have told Sid that.....I ordered new strings for her from Chad Weaver and MINE arrives today.

I will get Daniel to take pics I can post and we will shoot her.

I asked Sid to talk to Chad about supplying him wiht strings....not sure how that is coming.

Mayne one of you good string makers could contact Sid and start making them for border.

I am sure you guys could come up with some kind of good agreement and it would be good for all of us.

Jer

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks,to all of you.Yes sid I will try some GT 3555 soon.And I have a friend that is a Top builder of wooden arrows.I have some 3D tournaments and trying to get down to Georiga or South Carolina to shoot some Hogs.I will post as I go.

Thanks Terry

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I noticed my arrows acted a little weaker on the CH. I shoot full length (30") Gold Tip 3555 Expedition Hunter shafts with 125gr. points. These arrows tuned in perfectly on my RCX17 with Extreme BF limbs drawing 45#@27". My CH also draws 45#@27" and these bareshafted weak. Keeping everything else the same, I dropped down to 100gr. points and they bareshafted into the fletched group better. Dropped further to 85gr. points and bareshafts impacted right along with fletched.

Full arrow spec:
- GT 3555 Expedition Hunter uncut
- standard insert and nock
- 2" 2117 footing at tip and 1cm footing at nock
- three 4" shield cut Gateway RW feathers
- initially used 125gr. points (avg. 410gr. total weight)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update on my Covert, I went out and was shooting today and I decided to shoot a couple of broadheads my Simmons 175 gn Tiger Sharks,flew like darts no adjustments needed at 25 yds.Tomorrow I will shoot my Tree Sharks 190 gn.I need to get the camera out and take some pics or vid.All I have for string silencers are two very small cat whiskers spaced 1/3 of the length of string that does not touch the bow,very quiet. cch have fun tuning and congrats on the new bow.

More to come

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I haven't shot broadheads yet. I am waiting to do any serious tuning until I get my new Rick Barbee strings. I was shooting today and my serving unraveled. That is the only thing I am dissapointed with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the string, my problem was also my serving after close inspection I found it was served for a left handed shooter, Im right handed.I will reserve with some Crown or Halo and everything will be good.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like the string, my problem was also my serving after close inspection I found it was served for a left handed shooter, Im right handed.I will reserve with some Crown or Halo and everything will be good.
The serving should be on the same direction as the string is twisted., Basic serving 101 from the days of sailing ships and ropes still applies to any servings if you want them to stay tight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.