Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just re-visited my childhood and *yummm*!!!

Had a bunch of marinated chicken, and wasn't sure if I wanted to fire up the grill. So I made an old recipe that's been around forever. Corn Flake baked chicken is actually the fore-runner to 'Shake 'n Bake'. And better!

I poured a liberal amount of corn flakes into a gallon plastic bag, added garlic powder, onion powder, a bit of paprika and some celery salt. Spent a few minutes crumbling this mixture to a medium-fine texture. While I was doing this I pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees. Coated my chicken with the crumbs and laid them on a foil-covered baking sheet. (I sprayed the sheet with oil to help prevent sticking.)

45 minutes later, done. Yummm!

You can use flour-egg-wash-coat with crumbs instead of marinated chicken, I just went with what I had. And of course adjust the seasoning any way you like. A dash of cayenne next time, sure!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My one mistake - didn't allow for the salt in the marinade, added a bit too much celery salt to the crumb mix. Still good. Best thing about cooking is you can usually still eat your errors ;-)

·
bowhuntrmaniac
119 Posts
My mom used to make potatoe chip chicky bird. Butter, garlic pepper bath then roll in crushed up tater chips and bake. Yum !! don't add salt as the chips have plenty on them.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good too. I've had fish baked in a 'secret coating' that was awesome, later found out it was Ritz crackers! Who says 'American ingenuity' is dead? ;-)

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Dana ....is that Corn Flakes as in the breakfast cereal in a box ???

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
OK ..got it ... guess what's for dinner this evening ... Thanks Dana

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
this is how we do the drummies or wings. they are flavored with thai curry paste but not really spicey hot. good alternative if you are out of cereal.
the slow cooking and then, heat, makes them crispy.

1 tablespoon red curry paste
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
6-7 ****** lime leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 lbs chicken wings

Some store-bought red curry paste can be very hot. If you prefer your food mild, you may want to start with a smaller amount, about 1 teaspoon. In this recipe I use homemade curry paste that is full of spices but not hot.
If you like your wings saltier, sprinkle more salt after the wings come out of the frying pan immediately.

I use the mid joint wings, but you can use the drumettes or both. If you use both, separate the mid joint from the drumettes for even cooking.

Taste your curry paste first. Often store-bought curry pastes can have quite a bit of salt. If so, skip the salt. Mix the chicken wings with red curry paste, salt, flour and water. You need just enough flour so that the curry paste can cling to the skin. I add a little bit of water to dissolve the curry paste and flour. You can let the wings marinate overnight or a few minutes.

Wash and shred the ****** lime leaves into big pieces by tearing away from the center stem. Pat the ****** lime leaves dry.

In a frying pan, heat up enough oil. The oil should be enough to cover the bottom side of the chicken. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the ****** limes. They should come out of the oil as soon as they get in. Strain the leaves out and set aside.

Over medium to low medium heat, add the chicken wings to the hot oil. Let the wings fry until crispy. It should takes about 8-10 minutes. When the wings look cooked, turn up the heat to get the skin crispy. When the wings are done remove them from the oil and set them on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the crispy ****** lime leaves.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, and a correct portion of meat is 3 ounces ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
They make pre-crushed corn flake crumbs. Available in many supermarkets. A good alternative to bread or cracker crumbs. Nicer looking and tastier. Good on seafood. The best abalone I ever tasted was gently fried in butter with it. An archery club member brought the abalone to a club meeting and fried it up for us. But your had to pound your own. Abalone cannot be chewed if not well pounded. Lots of good eats to harvest in California. - lbg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts