Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
you only have one mind
Some claim only one; some have need of several. Psych docs have their view, but they do not make all the rules. I think of it not scientifically but metaphorically: the things you can bring to the conscious and work on, but which you can also let go of to operate at a lower level of awareness. I think most of what we do all day we do at a lower level of awareness. We can think of that as habitual, intuitive, automatically, even instinctively. The first half hour of every day is often more subconscious than not.

I also think most skill activities are learned, perhaps with long practice, some with just a few minutes, and then are performed mostly subconsciously. Examples are sports, music, work skills, using a keyboard, driving a car or even speaking. Try to do those consciously and you will miss, stall, crash or make a fool of yourself. We live most of our lives in the subconscious. I think it is wise to recognize it and try to train and enable it to function well. - lbg

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Some claim only one; some have need of several. Psych docs have their view, but they do not make all the rules. I think of it not scientifically but metaphorically: the things you can bring to the conscious and work on, but which you can also let go of to operate at a lower level of awareness. I think most of what we do all day we do at a lower level of awareness. We can think of that as habitual, intuitively, automatically, even instinctively. The first half hour of every day is often more subconscious than not.

I also think most skill activities are learned , perhaps with long practice, some with just a few minutes, and then are performed mostly subconsciously. Examples are sports, music, work skills, using a keyboard, driving a car or even speaking. Try to do those consciously and you will miss, stall, crash or make a fool of yourself. We live most of our lives in the subconscious. I think it is wise to recognize it and try to train and enable it. - lbg
But thats sort of the point - essentially everything we do involves what could be called "sub-conscious."

Out mind builds "subroutines" and creates chains of subroutines and we make subroutines but out of other subroutines.

Walking for instance. You decide to stand up and you decide where to go - and you do it. You dont have to think about individual movements.
Try thinking about and individually controlling all the separate movements your leg makes as you walk - you will suddenly be VERY bad at walking.

But we create problems when we try to be too precise over and over - we start trying to thoughtfully modulate individual muscles. But we keep doing it because its sort of like a short term cheat code to precision.
The problem is we arent meant to do that. We are meant to learn it as a routine and with repetition we will get better and better at the routine.
But instead by constantly trying to micro manage all the movements we dont get better and instead we damage ourselves.

That said we dont have have 2 separate minds - we are only functioning entities because have these subroutines.

· Registered
4,744 Posts
Out mind builds "subroutines" and creates chains of subroutines and we make subroutines but out of other subroutines.
100% correct.
just google "neural engram"

Reactions: Grantmac

· Registered
1,332 Posts
I would agree if you change subroutine with memory. Mind with Consciousness.

Sub-routine vs memory - it dont think either term is wrong in were just trying to understand it.

Mind vs conscious - no. We dont have to intentionally build these engrams or routines - the mind does with repetition usually whether we want it or not. The "mind" is the whole shebang.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Sub-routine is machine language. Mind is always learning.
So programs that learn dont use subroutines?

In computer programming, a function or subroutine is a sequence of program instructions that performs a specific task, packaged as a unit.

Its changes based on experience but its more than just a memory going on here. The whole thing can be executed as a sequence.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Here's the point I have made several time. There is a Physiological side.
Hardware side of computer. Not software. For you subroutine individual.
We make machines in our image but we are not machines. Not sure computational metaphors like 'subroutine' line up over a living breathing neurological surface very well.

But I get your point of breaking the shot and aim cycle down into separate and at times parallel processes. Mental framing and staging can be helpful.

· Registered
1,332 Posts

As best I can tell thats different.

Automatically memorizing behavior/movement patterns through repetition doesnt really like the same thing as recall. Although Im sure theres overlap.

Recall is used by higher brain functions like planning and synthesis. The ideal with physical actions is we build the routine properly then then the higher functions dont have to micromanage the movements.
I believe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts